News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

help with membergroup permissions

Started by RFD, April 07, 2017, 06:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFD

i converted a phpBB3.0.13 forum to SMF2.13 and all the members of the old forum came over to the post based membergroup.

i created a new regular non-post-based membergroup that has access to a special forum for read and write privileges (create threads, post on threads).

i'd like the post based members to have access to that special forum for read and post access, but not to be able to create threads.

can't figure out how to do this, or even if it can be done.

TIA.

Kindred

Of course it can...   create a board permissions profile and set the membergroups that you want to the permissions that you want
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RFD

Quote from: Kindred on April 07, 2017, 10:40:36 PM
Of course it can...   create a board permissions profile and set the membergroups that you want to the permissions that you want

confused and i still don't understand, sorry.

to simplify my forum, i have 3 membergroups and the permissions i need for each ...

Registered Guest (post count)
    - 2 boards for read/post/create threads out of 35 boards; 1 special "trading" board that has no access at all (hidden and not seen)

Forum Guest (post count)
    - 25 boards for read/post/create threads out of 35 boards; 1 special "trading" board that has access, but only permissions for read/write with no thread creation

TMA Member (regular member - assigned)
    - 35 boards read/post/create threads out of 35 boards; 1 special "trading" board with access access and full read/write/create permissions

when the 4000 members migrated over from phpBB, then all came into the post count group as "Registered Guest" and a post count of "0".  i created the Forum Guest post count group with a post count of "1" - that automatically brought over a few thousand of those Registered Guests to the Forum Guest membergroup.

i created the TMA Member regular member membergoup, and manually moved over 80 of the Forum Guests as TMA Members.

i have all 3 membergroups set with the boards they can have access to, and i've set their permissions to "no - use unique permissions" ... i can't figure out where to set up those unique permissions for each membergroup ... ?

is there a matrix chart that explains the relationship of all the many different "switches" for membergroups and boards and permissions for each?  there appears to be SO many variables, and all i want is the above relationships between the 3 membergroups, the boards each are allowed to access, and the permissions fo each membergroup within those boards. 

thanx.

Steve

Why are threads like this mark solved? I've seen a number of them. Is it the OP coming back to mark it solved without comment?
DO NOT pm me for support!

RFD

Quote from: Steve on April 08, 2017, 09:04:26 AM
Why are threads like this mark solved? I've seen a number of them. Is it the OP coming back to mark it solved without comment?

not solved - please read my post above yours!

Steve

I suspected it wasn't solved. Was just wondering why it was marked that it was.

Illori

Quote from: Steve on April 08, 2017, 02:57:15 PM

our moderation center tracks who marks a topic solved. if you wish you could look up who marked it solved and reach out to that person.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RFD

board and user permission allocations still make no sense to me.  ubb flat file classic was so much easier.

i have two post count membergroups - Registered Guest and Forum Guest - these two groups are where newly registered members.  Registered Guest is a new member with zero posts, and when the first post is made they become a Forum Guest.  the boards these two membergroups are allowed to access to are different.   

when i look to manage membergroup permissions, i only see Guests ... no Registered Guest or Forum Guest membergroup.

are both of the post count membergroups, whatever their name/rank, all part of whatever "Guest" is?

Kindred

Ah, turn on permissions for post count based groups
Слaва
Украинi

RFD

i've got both those post count groups currently set for "no - use unique permissions"  ... ?  it should be set to 'inherit from guests" ?

Kindred

No....   turn on post count based permissions...  it's a setting
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

RFD

ok.  turning on post count permissions now shows the post count membergroups in 'general permissions".

i still don't understand how to set it so that the Forum Guest membergroup can't create a thread just in one special forum, yet they post at that forum.

there is no simple cross referenced hierarchical matrix for board and membergroup permissions?

i.e. ....

membergroup - board - function - permsission
Registered Guest - special - create thread - no
Registered Guest - special - post - no
Forum Guest - special - create thread - no
Forum Guest - special - post - yes

this is so frustrating.

anyone wanna help, please PM me for admin access to the test board

much obliged.

Colin

Quote from: Illori on April 08, 2017, 04:01:22 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 08, 2017, 02:57:15 PM

our moderation center tracks who marks a topic solved. if you wish you could look up who marked it solved and reach out to that person.

I think this one was me, my apologies.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Dav999

Quote from: RFD on April 08, 2017, 10:19:54 PM
there is no simple cross referenced hierarchical matrix for board and membergroup permissions?

i.e. ....

membergroup - board - function - permsission
Registered Guest - special - create thread - no
Registered Guest - special - post - no
Forum Guest - special - create thread - no
Forum Guest - special - post - yes
There is, it can be accessed by turning on Report Generation in core features.

Illori

Quote from: RFD on April 07, 2017, 06:56:53 PM
i converted a phpBB3.0.13 forum to SMF2.13 and all the members of the old forum came over to the post based membergroup.

i created a new regular non-post-based membergroup that has access to a special forum for read and write privileges (create threads, post on threads).

i'd like the post based members to have access to that special forum for read and post access, but not to be able to create threads.

can't figure out how to do this, or even if it can be done.

TIA.

first off they are call boards, in SMF not forum. you would need to create a permissions profile for that board.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Permission_profiles_-_an_overview
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Permission_profiles
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Permissions_-_How_do_I_set_up_post_count_based_membergroup_permissions

RFD

"Registered Guest" is a zero based membergroup.  this is where new regstrations enter.  this memebergroup is set for "No - Use unique Permission" and out of 40 or so boards has only 2 boards checked off for visibility.  yet when a "Registered Guest" is logged in, they can see and access all the boards.

i have 2 post count groups, "Registered Guest" (zero post counts) and "Forum Guest" (1 or more posts).  those are the only 2 post count groups i see when i look at a list of the membergroups.  yet i constantly see a reference to a "Guest" membergroup - what is that?  is that some sort of predetermined membergroup like the "Moderator" membergroup?

Kindred

guests are any user who does not have a logged in account.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: