News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

help with membergroup permissions

Started by RFD, April 07, 2017, 06:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFD

gotcha on the "Guests" - unregistered forum "users / viewers".  makes sense to care for that kind of forum visitor.

ok, so ... "Registered Guest" is a zero based membergroup.  this is where new forum regstrations enter.  this memebergroup is set for "No - Use unique Permission" and out of 40 or so boards has only 2 boards checked off for visibility. 

yet when a "Registered Guest" is logged in, they can see and access all the boards ... ?  what fundamental setting am i missing?

Illori

A post count group that is in no primary group is always a member of regular member group and inherit permissions and access from that group.

RFD

Quote from: Illori on April 09, 2017, 09:44:18 AM
A post count group that is in no primary group is always a member of regular member group and inherit permissions and access from that group.

i have no clue as to what that means.

i've got a pair of post count groups that are in the post count groups membergroup - what primary group?

Arantor

Users always have at least two groups. They can have more, but they have at least two groups at all times - their post count group and a primary member group. Here, for example, mine is SMF Friend. I have a post count group as well, but my primary group is SMF Friend - by default on a new install the admin gets Administrator as theirs.

Users who don't have an assigned primary group automatically get put into Regular Members as their primary group.

RFD

this is all way too complicated for my obviously pea sized brain.  i see SO many different settings for board, membergroups, permissions for all, and LOTS of seemingly cross referencing of all that stuff. 

my main problem is understanding that all i wanna do is have a pair of post count based groups (to care for the zero posts and the one or more posts), there are specific boards both of these two post count membergroups can see, and one specific board that both post count groups can see, visit, do post replies but not post create.

RFD

Quote from: Illori on April 09, 2017, 11:00:17 AM
maybe http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Board_Permissions_-_Limit_posting_location_for_newbies will help.

aha!  that separate permissions profiles process worked great!  thank you!   i created separate profile for the post count membergroup and then linked that profile to the "special" board.  now the "special" board will not allow topic creations for the post count membergroups but will allow for regular members.

only one thing left i can't get a handle on - both post count membergroups get to see, and use!, all the boards in the forum, even though i've unchecked some of the boards in that membergroup profile for "Visible Boards:" .... ?

Kindred

again... remember...   users always belong to at least TWO groups...   so, if they don't have an assigned (non-post-count) group, then they are part of the "regular members" group. and will have access to anything that the regular members group has access to
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RFD

Quote from: Kindred on April 09, 2017, 08:23:10 PM
again... remember...   users always belong to at least TWO groups...   so, if they don't have an assigned (non-post-count) group, then they are part of the "regular members" group. and will have access to anything that the regular members group has access to

just when i thought i had it all figured out, baffled yet again.

i saw no need for 2 post count groups and now have just one big one, "Forum Guest" (post counts don't matter).

i have one regular group membergroup called "TMA Member" that's manually populated from the "Forum Guest" membergroup.

so the thing is, i just don't understand what regular group to assign to the "Forum Guest" membergroup, and how to do that assignment? 

Arantor

You don't assign any group to the 'Forum Guest' membergroup. Everyone is in that group already. They're also in Regular Members unless you put them somewhere, e.g. Administrator.

RFD

Quote from: Arantor on April 10, 2017, 06:19:29 PM
You don't assign any group to the 'Forum Guest' membergroup. Everyone is in that group already. They're also in Regular Members unless you put them somewhere, e.g. Administrator.

ok, that's what i thought all along. 

for the 'Forum Guest' membergroup i assigned them some, but not all of the boards. 

but when i iogin as a 'Forum Guest', why do i have access to all the boards?

Kindred

probably because one of the other groups that the user belongs to has access

(again, a member is ALWAYS part of AT LEAST two groups)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RFD

how do i find out what other 'group' the post count membergroup 'Forum Guest' belongs to?

Arantor

OK, let's back up.

You log in as a Forum Guest. That person is in the Forum Guest group. It's not that the Forum Guest group is in another group, it's the person who is in another group.

If you go to that person's profile and to account settings, you can see what groups they are in. Almost certainly it will say 'no assigned member group' or something like that - which means that person is part of Forum Guest and Regular Member, and it is likely that Regular Member is the group giving them access to all the boards.

RFD

Quote from: Arantor on April 11, 2017, 02:47:12 AM
OK, let's back up.

You log in as a Forum Guest. That person is in the Forum Guest group. It's not that the Forum Guest group is in another group, it's the person who is in another group.

If you go to that person's profile and to account settings, you can see what groups they are in. Almost certainly it will say 'no assigned member group' or something like that - which means that person is part of Forum Guest and Regular Member, and it is likely that Regular Member is the group giving them access to all the boards.

i don't get the concept of 'Regular Member'.

attached are images of a new registrant who enters the system as a 'Forum Guest'.

how do i assign them what 'Regular Member' membergroup?  i don't want a new user to have Administrator or TMA Member access .... !

Arantor

That person is in Regular Member. As your screenshot shows, there is no primary group. This means that instead of them having a group like TMA Member or Administrator, they have Regular Member. They have to have a group, it's just a generic group.

If you don't want that person to see some boards, don't let the Regular Member group see it from the board configuration.

RFD

where *IS* the 'Regular Member Group' settings to be found?

finally, i think i got it ... board permissions!  by ticking off 'Regular Members' and 'Guests' any new or old 'Forum Guest' won't see that board .... and then only boards ticked on for 'TMA Members' can be seen by them. 

RFD

by setting board permissions, i can assign what membergroups can selectively access some or all of the boards.  i can create a profile that will only allow a specific post count membergroup to not create new topics on a specific forum.  i just can't get these two thingies to work together.

i turn on post count membergroups permissions.  i see the 2 post count membergroups in the general permissions and set both of their permissions the same as the regular membergroups.  i create a new profile ('trade') and edit it not allow the 2 post count membergroups to create topics and save.  i in the restrictive 'trade' board i set it's profile to 'trade'.  the post count groups access the 'trade' board but can create topics. 

how do i segregate the post count membergroup from the regular membergroup without disabling the regular membergroups from creating topics in that 'trade' forum?

Dav999

Does Regular Members still have the permission to create topics?

Alternatively, you can enable deny permissions, and any permission you set to "deny" (as opposed to the standard "disallow") will never be accidentally still allowed by any other membergroup. (But that doesn't apply to full administrators, since they can always do anything)

Kindred

you set permissions per group...  don't duplicate unless you fully intend to duplicate

for permissions that you want handled by the main group, leave the post-count permission set as X for "disallow" and the main group set to A for "allow"
for permissions that you want handled by the post-count group, leave the main group permission set as X for "disallow" and the post-count group set to A for "allow"

To control permissions on a by-board basis, you need to set up board profiles with the correct permissions AND assign that profile to the board in question
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: