Finding the boards that all users have access to

Started by rottaj, April 27, 2017, 04:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rottaj

Hi,

I have a forum where there are several boards. Some users have access to only some boards. Is there an easy way to extract a list of the users and their email addresses and which boards they have access to?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Shambles

There are a few ways, but personally I use the switch permissions mod which lets you temporarily adopt the viewpoint of a selected member, just so you can see what they would see. Extremely useful for occasions like this and saves wandering through reports etc.

rottaj

Hi Shambles,

I need to get a full listing - I don't want to log in as each user as there are hundreds and it would take forever.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Steve

You don't understand. That mod doesn't make you log in as any of your members, it just shows you what that person's membergroup sees. So if you switch to one and there are a hundred people in that membergroup, you would now know what that hundred sees in one easy step. Just switch to someone in each membergroup that you have, look at the boards they can see and you're done.

Unless you have a hundred different membergroups this should only take a few minutes.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

Quote from: rottaj on April 27, 2017, 04:52:22 AM
Hi,

I have a forum where there are several boards. Some users have access to only some boards. Is there an easy way to extract a list of the users and their email addresses and which boards they have access to?

that mod does not allow you to extract email addresses or mass view who can view a specific board. possibly some of the built in reports [when enabled in core features] can show you who has access but not give email addresses.

rottaj

Hi,

Thanks - I enabled reports but could not see anything there that was useful in what I am trying to do.

Jonathan

Kindred

Perhaps, if you explain what you are actually trying to do and why......
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rottaj

Hi,

OK, lets say I have 3 boards, Board A, Board B and Board C.

I have several hundred members, Some menbers have access to only Board A, other members have access to Boards A and b, and the remaining members have access to Boards A,B and C.

I am essentially looking for members that have access to Board C.

The Why. I need to make sure that the members that have access to board C are all authorized to see inside that board, which I will cross check against another list.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Kindred

And you can't figure that out by just looking at the member groups and the group access?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Linkjay

Quote from: Shambles on April 27, 2017, 05:23:53 AM
There are a few ways, but personally I use the switch permissions mod which lets you temporarily adopt the viewpoint of a selected member, just so you can see what they would see. Extremely useful for occasions like this and saves wandering through reports etc.

Actually, that would be very useful to me. I am definetly going to use that. Thanks for sharing that, Shambles!
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

rottaj

Quote from: Kindred on April 27, 2017, 10:15:08 AM
And you can't figure that out by just looking at the member groups and the group access?

Hi,

Not really. Lets say that person A is in Board B as their 'primary' assigned Board, but also has access to Board C - How would I know that Person A has access to Board C by looking at member groups and group access?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Illori

you can only grant access to view a board by being in a membergroup, so membergroup x grants the access to board c, so you need to find out who is in group x.

rottaj

Quote from: Illori on April 27, 2017, 04:38:09 PM
you can only grant access to view a board by being in a membergroup, so membergroup x grants the access to board c, so you need to find out who is in group x.

I am the admin, so I can - and do grant access - but how do I see that Person A has access to Board C, when their primary Board is Board B but have also been granted access to Board C.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Kindred

I will restate:  Permissions and access in SMF are 100% and ONLY controlled by membergroup

There is NO WAY to assign a specific member to have access to a board or to have permissions.
That member must be added to a membergroup that has access to that board or those permissions.

Therefore, if you have a specific board which is accessible only to membergroups A and C, then you can look at the members who are in membergroups A and C. those are the only members who will have access to that board.
Слaва
Украинi

rottaj

Hi guys,

Thanks. I was missing a piece in my understanding. If I go to:

Admin >> Members >> MemberGroups Edit Membergroups >> click on the relevant group then the info will be available.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Advertisement: