News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

smiley order on popup gets changed

Started by brynn, April 09, 2017, 07:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
I'm not sure how the order of smileys on the popup form (and not in the editor) got mixed up, but it was something when my host reinstalled something.  Sorry to be so vague, but I really don't understand what he did.  (I asked why, but he told me it was obvious since he reinstalled something....currently looking for new host....long story  :-\ )  But whatever it was, it didn't scramble the ones in the editor.

Anyway, I have probably a couple hunderd smileys on the popup, and they were all scrambled.  As I'm putting them back in order, I've been now and then, removing some that I don't need anymore.  (I use icons for the program, which my forum provides support for, to help with explaining things to newbies, as smileys.  Some icons have been removed from the program, so I don't need anymore.)

Anyway, whenever I go to Smiley and Message Icons > Edit Smileys, then put checkmark beside smiley, then at the bottom, With Selected > Remove; when I go back to Set Smiley Order page, all the smileys around the area where the removed ones used to be, are all mixed up.  I don't mean they just moved over.

Since I'm currently working on it, if anyone goes to take a look, it will probably be different.  So I made a screenshot to try and explain.

You can see 4 smileys with a red circle in row 2.  That's where they were originally.  And all the smileys below that, with a red circle were in row 2.  All the smileys with a blue circle were in row 3.  In row 2, all the smileys to the right of those in red circles were in row 4.  The smileys in row 3 were originally in row 5.

Oh crap!  I just moved another smiley, and darned if it didn't scrambled them again!  Now it looks like in the 2nd attachment (sm2.png). 

You can see that whatever was in rows 2 and 3, just a second ago, are now scrambled into the last row (which at the moment is row 6).

So it's not necessarily removing a smiley that causes them to be scrambled.  This has been happening over the last few days, while I try to re-order them.  And every now and then, they just get scrambled.  I guess I haven't figured out exactly what's causing it.  Once it seemed to be related to starting a new row of smileys.  But well, I'm not sure what's causing it.

I don't suppose there's a setting somewhere, that might be causing this?  I don't really want to change the setup that I use -- having some smileys on the editor, and all the rest on the popup.  But if there was some option that didn't make a huge change, and it would avoid this scrambling, that would really be nice.

Or at least if I knew what's causing it, maybe I could avoid it.

Thank you very much   :)

PS -- SMF 2.0.13, Tiny Portal 1.2, and 35 or so other mods.  I don't think I have any mods that affect the smileys.  Not unless it's part of something else, and not obvious.  I can list them all if necessary.

Also Firefox and Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Edit -- edited title to reflect new info

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

brynn

Steve

If I recall correctly, mine did that as well before tabbed smileys and I never knew why that is. Maybe one of the coding/dev people can explain it.

Dav999

I don't know if removing smileys can cause this, I do know that moving the first smiley on a line to somewhere else will cause the order to mess up and will cause lines to merge together. I reported this earlier (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=505448.msg3557697#msg3557697) and I just tested it, and it's still easy to cause it to happen. (That topic was moved from Bug Reports to 2.0.x Support for some reason?)

If you want to move the first smiley on a line, a workaround is to move the second smiley to before the first, and then to move the smiley you wanted to move.

brynn

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. 

I'm not sure I understand Dav999.  If I move the 2nd smiley in front of the first....  Oh I see!  Then the one I want to move is not in front anymore.

Well what happens when all you have left is the first smiley in a row (i.e. the only one in that row)?  It feels like I'm playing some kind of strategy game, haha, move this here, jump over there, don't touch that, etc.

But if it follows the pattern, I'll have my new rows all nice and finished, except for one.  But if it's the first (and only) one in a row, won't that make some of them wacko again?

(Yes, that bug report seems unfinished.  I wonder if there's a bug tracker somewhere, where it would have been more "official"?  I'm not very familiar with SMF development, and how bugs are supposed to be reported.)

Steve

Do you want a single smiley in that row? If so, just move the one you want there (make sure it's not the first smiley in another row) to the first position and then move out the one that was there initially. That should prevent the 'smiley shuffle'.

brynn

No, I'm not going to want a single smiley in a row by itself. 

If I follow this routine of moving some other smiley in front of the one I want to move, then I can move all the smileys to the right of the first one, without causing any problems.  But then what happens when all that's left is the one that I put in front.  Now I need to put it somewhere. 

But it's the first one in a row, and if moving the first one in a row really is what's causing this, won't it mess up the order again?

Steve

Maybe I'm not understanding your situation but couldn't you move smileys to the single smiley row so that it becomes your first row, with multiple smileys?

brynn

So you mean just use that one to start a new row?  That could work for a while.  But what happens if I end up with 3 or 4 rows which have only 1 smiley, and I don't need anymore rows?  How would I move them without causing a problem?

Steve

I don't know that there's any way around this problem short of installing tabbed smileys and even that mod has a problem with moving the first smiley in a tab.

brynn

Do you think this should be reported as a bug?

Do you know how to report bugs in the SMF project?

Steve

brynn

Advertisement: