News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Creating/Editing/Removing tabs or buttons

Started by Archang3L, April 13, 2017, 06:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archang3L

Hello,

I am having trouble editing the tabs like 'Home' or 'Help'. I tried searching the FAQs and found a way but it doesnt work well. Also I found some mods which could do that for me but still it doesnt support my version of 2.0.13. Could someone help me with this?

Illori

can you tell us exactly what it is you want to do?

Archang3L

You see the tabs or button on the top left of the page? I want to edit its position and rename 'Home' to forum. Also I would like to add another tab Home(at the first place) that will redirect to my website.

Archang3L

Yes I went through it. I didnt understand it quite well and I messed it up. But I had a backup tho.

Is there any video tuts or any mod that could do this for me?

landyvlad

Sounds as if you have smf installed in your public_html directory?

I have mine installed in a subdirectory - public_html/forum

That way I can have a wp install as my "website" which links to my forum.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Archang3L on April 13, 2017, 07:47:46 AM
Yes I went through it. I didnt understand it quite well and I messed it up. But I had a backup tho.

Is there any video tuts or any mod that could do this for me?

This is something I do all the time, are you using a portal such as Simple Portal? If you make changes to those two tabs, you risk having to do it again when the next upgrade occurs, and also that simple portal will not be able to uninstall/reinstall correctly, but making changes to the menu is doable if you want some help.
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Kindred

Quote from: landyvlad on April 13, 2017, 09:09:40 AM
Sounds as if you have smf installed in your public_html directory?

I have mine installed in a subdirectory - public_html/forum

That way I can have a wp install as my "website" which links to my forum.

It is my recomendation to never use Wordpress with any other software ...  also, it's not needed, because the forum with a portal can do pretty much everything
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2017, 10:26:39 PM

It is my recomendation to never use Wordpress with any other software ...  also, it's not needed, because the forum with a portal can do pretty much everything

This is great advice, I myself tried that very thing for quite a long time, you'll spend so much time trying to track down where and why they butt heads with each other and keeping WP updated so much its pathetic... I'll not do that again...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Advertisement: