News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mouse Scroll Wheel stops working in SMF (Chrome browser)

Started by Cuda Cody, April 15, 2017, 01:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuda Cody

The scroll wheel has recently (and randomly) stopped working on our SMF forum for several members.  It appears that it's only happening in Chrome as far as I can tell so far.  And only in SMF.  I have other Chrome browsers open (eBay, local news, weather) and they all work fine with the scroll wheel at the same time the SMF scroll is not working.  I can close the SFM window tab in Chrome (but not closing all the open chrome browsers) and open SMF up in a new tab and it starts working again.

Recently found out a different SMF forum is having the same issue now too.  Has anyone else experienced this yet?  Do you think it is a Chrome issue or SMF?

https://forum.e-bodies.org/forum-help-and-suggestions/14/mouse-scroll-wheel-issues-stops-working/1485/ [nofollow]

- I've searched the forum here for this problem and did not see anything.  Also read the rules (and the online manual linked in it) and have posted a link to my forum that shows the posts from members that are having the problem.  Thanks you in advance for all your help.

Arantor

Since nothing in SMF has changed and it still works fine in other browsers, I'd have to conclude this is a bug in Chrome. Chrome 57 has a number of other bugs in it actually, and I've seen this one myself.

Cuda Cody

Thank you for the fast reply.  You are probably right with it being a Chrome issue.  But why does it only affect SMF?  I'll wait and see if Chrome gets it fixed.  :)

Arantor

No idea, but I have seen various other weird behaviours since Chrome 57 on other sites.

aegersz

I use IE, Firefox and Opera to diagnose SMF and many other issues ... they all present with a different browsing experience and all have their idiosyncratic bugs.

for all the money and resources from the Google team, I would expect better behaviour from Chrome so Firefox is my next best preference.

i stick with Chrome for Windows clients and Firefox for Linux.

Multiple browser options are the way to go.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

MadCityKaren

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 15, 2017, 01:18:46 PM
Recently found out a different SMF forum is having the same issue now too.  Has anyone else experienced this yet?  Do you think it is a Chrome issue or SMF?
I came here searching for this issue as well ... I'm having occasional issues with the scroll wheel not working in my forum, while working mostly fine in this forum (I found that I have to manually scroll up to see the preview on hitting the 'preview' button). Go figure.   

By process of elimination, I'll have to consider it a Chrome issue as well ... and hope it's fixed soon. 

Cuda Cody

One of our members posted this:

"I use Firefox & have not noticed any issue... Googled "chrome mouse scrolling issue" an found many folks talking about it.. 
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/mouse-scrolling-issues-in-new-chrome-57-0-2987-110/ [nofollow]

possible solution

Update it ! its fixed !
by paulsmith92 / April 14, 2017 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Mouse scrolling issues in new Chrome 57.0.2987.110 ?

yes, i agree to you that there is some problem with the chrome version 57.0.2987.110 I have also faced it. It was really annoying, but this bug is fixed by its latest update of version 57.0.2987.133 in this many of bugs are fixed."

Arantor

I didn't see it fixed in any 57 build but it looks to have been fixed in 58.

Advertisement: