News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Remove from URL index.php

Started by kathiemt, April 15, 2017, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kathiemt

I have recently installed 2.0.13 and set up a new forum which is a private one - members only, so not visible to the public or to guests at all.

One of the members has noted that index.php is showing at the end of the url, i.e. www.vadirectory.net/vaforum.index.php and she's advised I should get a webmaster to remove it for me to help protect from possible hackers.  I've looked through the online manual, done a search on the board forum here and looked at the FAQs but can't see any reference to removing index.php.

Is anyone able to advise me on this please? I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

Kindred

First, how and why would this have anything to do with hackers... for or against? (answer... it has nothing at all to do with hackers)

Second, removing index.php from the URL will cause lots and lots of problems. Don't do it
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kathiemt

I wasn't sure but this is the message I got from a new member of my new forum:

I notice the URL at the end has .index.php
To be honest Kathie this is the quickest way for hackers to hack your site and members only area.  Because having the index.php at the end is how they try and hack sites to upload scripts and the like.
Potentially you may want to contract a website designer to fix this up so that it's not so visible to hackers.

Kindred

The user is completely and utterly mistakenand has no actual clue about how hackers work
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kathiemt

Ok, thank you. I thought I was missing some information but I will ignore that piece of advise.

Advertisement: