Forum does not send anymore notifications by email

Started by RedPanda2013, April 17, 2017, 06:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPanda2013

Hello

Until March 20 I used to receive an email everytime a new member registered on the forum, but not anymore.

Also, existing members have complained to me that lately (probably around the same time the above issue started) they no longer receive notifications about new replies for the threads they turned on the notify option.

I have no idea where to look in order to fix this issue.

Thank you

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Shambles

Are there any mail-related errors present in your logs?

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Shambles on April 17, 2017, 06:50:21 AM
Are there any mail-related errors present in your logs?

I have no idea, where can I check that?

Thank you

RedPanda2013

RedPanda2013

Just checked on http://www.us.sorbs.net/ if my server was blacklisted:

QuoteNot found in the database

Shambles

If you are an admin of your forum, you should learn where the logs are.

Try Admin > Maintenance > Logs... > Error Log

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Shambles on April 17, 2017, 08:05:51 AM
If you are an admin of your forum, you should learn where the logs are.

Try Admin > Maintenance > Logs... > Error Log

Yes, I was right there...no errors, thank you.

Illori

that is where you go to perform maintenance, not to check the error log. check the path of where you are again.

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Illori on April 17, 2017, 08:21:24 AM
that is where you go to perform maintenance, not to check the error log. check the path of where you are again.

I see, so yes I got hundreds of error logs, but those include people getting wrong their login too.

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Colin on April 17, 2017, 06:46:03 AM
Hi there,

Are you using SMTP or PHP send_mail to send your automated forum emails?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/E-Mails_-_Why_are_members_not_getting_emails_sent_from_the_forum

In the mean time I performed the test mail as explained in the link Colin posted.

Test mail from localhost was received immediately.

I have no idea if I am using SMTP or PHP send_mail to send my automated forum emails.

I have gone through the error logs and cannot see anything related to that.

Kiriakos GR

First of ,  you must get more than few ideas so to control SMF forum.
This is not a toy.

Second there is dedicated category at SMF forum named as Maintenance 
This include section Mail &  section Logs
And at the top of its one selected section there is one or two or more settings menu

Now get in communication with your hosting company and ask them if they changed their mail servers, them using SSL as standard ( email protocol )?
If they did .......  SMF does not support SSL and email login with the server now fails.

Kindred

Kiriakos, this is the second post I have seen by your that is distinctly and messily incorrect... with incorrect assumptions and incorrect suggestions
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: Kindred on April 19, 2017, 10:04:45 PM
Kiriakos, this is the second post I have seen by your that is distinctly and messily incorrect... with incorrect assumptions and incorrect suggestions

All answers I have read from experts and non-experts about thousands of questions these always include (assumptions and chances (possibilities) ).

If I were SMF developer I would improve SMF help files system, so SMF administrators them to scratch their head less often.

Illori

Quote from: Kiriakos GR on April 21, 2017, 05:05:27 AM
If I were SMF developer I would improve SMF help files system, so SMF administrators them to scratch their head less often.

then you should be aware that the help files as you call them redirect to our wiki which anyone can edit. but a lot of time and effort has gone into them so they are very helpful/accurate.

RedPanda2013

I still have this issue so I had to change the way registration of new members works because no one is getting any email, not even in the spam folder.

I assume (but maybe I am wrong?) that it's not a hosting issue because the test mail from localhost was received immediately.

If anyone has any other suggestion, please let me know.

Thank you

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: RedPanda2013 on April 22, 2017, 06:31:59 AM
I still have this issue so I had to change the way registration of new members works because no one is getting any email, not even in the spam folder.

I assume (but maybe I am wrong?) that it's not a hosting issue because the test mail from localhost was received immediately.

If anyone has any other suggestion, please let me know.

Thank you

You better pray to God for assistance,  right now you do selective use of the help that you do get from people.
I am SMF forum administrator for five long years.
I have move my forum in to three servers so far, and I did manage to solve SSL related email issues by me cooperating hand to hand with my hosting provider.   

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Kiriakos GR on April 22, 2017, 10:51:59 AM
You better pray to God for assistance,  right now you do selective use of the help that you do get from people.
I am SMF forum administrator for five long years.
I have move my forum in to three servers so far, and I did manage to solve SSL related email issues by me cooperating hand to hand with my hosting provider.   

well I have been using SMF for 5 long years too, big deal...that alone does not mean I am expert using it, far from it.

In regards to me selecting help, well I always got great help from Kindred so if he stated that you are wrong, I am sorry but I am going to trust him.

Steve

Quote from: RedPanda2013 on April 22, 2017, 12:32:45 PMI always got great help from Kindred so if he stated that you are wrong, I am sorry but I am going to trust him.

Smart move.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

5 years? Been running SMF for nearly 11 years here ;D

But, speaking as someone who was actually on the SMF dev team, SMF used to have a more thorough help system integrated into it. It was removed because it was out of date, inaccurate and frankly the wiki does a much better job of it by allowing more people to work on things, keeping it up to date as new problems get new solutions.

Kindred's been around long enough to know most things, and he is generally right. The problems arise when things get very, very complicated and when the usual rules don't apply, but this is not one of those times.

Advertisement: