News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How can I remove a line in the registration form?

Started by RedPanda2013, April 22, 2017, 01:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPanda2013

Hi, due to my own reasons, in my forum PMs are not allowed, therefore in order to avoid confusion for new members, I'd like to remove the line you see circled in red in the attached image.

Could you please tell me which file should I edit in order to remove it and possibly the exact text I should remove?

Thank you

MobileCS

Since it's a checkmark option and defaults to off, you should be able to get away with deleting or commenting out the following lines.

** NOT TESTED **

/Themes/default/Register.template.php

<dt><strong><label for="allow_email">', $txt['allow_user_email'], ':</label></strong></dt>
<dd>
<input type="checkbox" name="allow_email" id="allow_email" tabindex="', $context['tabindex']++, '" class="input_check" />
</dd>

Arantor

Except that option doesn't reflect PMs but whether other people can see the newly registered person's email address in their profile.

Illori

Quote from: Arantor on April 22, 2017, 01:31:05 PM
Except that option doesn't reflect PMs but whether other people can see the newly registered person's email address in their profile.

it is weather you can see the envelope to send them an email. you dont directly get to see the email address unless you are an admin.

Arantor

Ah yes, my bad. But it definitely isn't PM related ;)

RedPanda2013

Quote from: MobileCS on April 22, 2017, 01:27:04 PM
Since it's a checkmark option and defaults to off, you should be able to get away with deleting or commenting out the following lines.

** NOT TESTED **

/Themes/default/Register.template.php

<dt><strong><label for="allow_email">', $txt['allow_user_email'], ':</label></strong></dt>
<dd>
<input type="checkbox" name="allow_email" id="allow_email" tabindex="', $context['tabindex']++, '" class="input_check" />
</dd>

Thank you, it worked!

RedPanda2013

Quote from: Illori on April 22, 2017, 01:41:03 PM
Quote from: Arantor on April 22, 2017, 01:31:05 PM

it is weather you can see the envelope to send them an email. you dont directly get to see the email address unless you are an admin.

My previous webmaster already removed the envelope  :)

Now if any member clicks on another member's profile they only see an error message where it says that they do not have permission to see that information.

Kindred

ummm....  what you did has no effect on seeing another user's profile - so your actions had nothing to do with that.

What you just asked about was the "allow other users to email me" setting.
This does not expose the user's email address.  It just allows other users to send an EMAIL (via a forum form) to the target user.

The envelope that you mention just triggers that form.

In your original message, you talked about stopping users from sending PMs.  Be aware that the setting that you mention and the envelope have nothing at all to do with PMs.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: