News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Images missing and broken documents after forum reopening

Started by marco.panichi, April 26, 2017, 04:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marco.panichi

Hi to all,

I'm exposing my problem to you point by point:

WHAT I DID
> Some year ago, I closed the forum (I've deleted the files from ftp and tables from database)
> Last month I wanted to reopen it. So I've uploaded the last backup into the ftp and into the database
> The folder on ftp is remained the same

WHAT HAPPENED
> Almost everything is ok: the forum works correctly (new discussion, edit discussion, create user, etc)
> Unfortunally, avatars are gone. Here are some example:
---> http://www.ilcolombaccio.it/bacheca/index.php?action=profile;u=9
---> http://www.ilcolombaccio.it/bacheca/index.php?action=profile;u=131
> Please note that pre-built avatars (smiles) work:
---> http://www.ilcolombaccio.it/bacheca/index.php?action=profile;u=286
> Documents also seem corrupted. Here are some example (clicking these link you'll download two doc files):
---> http://www.ilcolombaccio.it/bacheca/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3777.0;attach=1085
---> http://www.ilcolombaccio.it/bacheca/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3777.0;attach=1086

I can't imagine where the problem is and after searching the forum I didn't find out any suggestions.

What do you suggests?

Thank you very much.

Illori

marco.panichi

hi Illori,

thanks for your kind response.

Let me say that this thing is simply absurd and extremely frustrating.

Authors should seriously consider reviewing the attachment management system. Having the files in their original format could be the best choice.

Illori

no it is not. that is how a lot of forums got backed back in the day. that is why it got changed. but in SMF 2.1 we have added a file extension to the hashed file names to help with this issue.

Arantor

The files are normally stored in their original format. Just bad FTP programs mangle the contents.

richardwbb

I've lost some attachments [avatars]. For me it was that my FileZilla was set to 'auto-transfer', I've changed that to binary and the darn FileZilla stopped touching those images, because it does. If you need more info on that, just say so. However, I recommend to check your ftp and if you will, rename that directory [on a local testing server], to something else and transfer with auto mode, then -some- avatars will bork and those can not be opened or seen by Linux the least, any longer. This setting I am sincerely about [auto/ binary], has been made when in the old days. Really old, and even the developer of FileZilla isn't really aware [but FileZilla is free and let's be grateful for this], and all ftp client's seem to have 'auto' set. I have not found a single reason why this must be so. And again; this tip will only work for 'mangled' 'data', so if that ain't the attachments, you are still made aware of something that isn't smf related, but can send anyone in the woods I suppose. Another tip, find attachments from an old backup and do a file compare, similar files won't guarantee anything, but dissimilarities will point you in the right direction.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Steve

WinSCP is free as well and a much better ftp program imo.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

The FZ problem is actually due to another transfer setting which is buried in a different place, and damage occurs only because SMF hashes the file name and leaves it without an extension.

In FZ:  Edit -> Settings -> Transfers -> File Types -> Treat files without extension as ASCII file

As Illori posted above, this has been fixed in 2.1.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Let's be clear...   smf has not "fixed" anything, since it was not actually our issue...   2.1 has added an extension so as to bypass the stupid bug/setting in FileZilla....   so, we changed to accommodate a badly designed/configured product... not because it was a bug
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on April 30, 2017, 05:10:51 PM
not because it was a bug

Not implying that it was.  It's bad design in FZ, but we're not about to get them to change it, so it was fixed on this end by making a simple adjustment in 2.1 to work around it.  Was a sticky about this for years, but nobody reads stickies.  :P

- R. Waters

Arantor

We asked them best part of 10 years ago to change it and they didn't see there was a problem.

Sir Osis of Liver

Which raises the rather obvious question, if this problem was recognized 10 years ago, couldn't it have been addressed while 2.0 was still in development?

- R. Waters

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Because 10 years ago, SMF 2.0 was already feature-locked.

Advertisement: