News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Any method to debug?

Started by GregJ7, April 27, 2017, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregJ7

I installed SMF 2.0.13, created a 2nd category and a few forums, and then started stepping through all the configuration options available. I don't remember which page I was on, unfortunately, but I clicked "Save" for that page and then the screen went blank. Now when I try to go to the forum all I get is a blank page. I ejected the browser's cached page and also tried it in another browser and it's a blank page in all cases. I don't know a web address I can try other than the one that points to the index.php directory. I can just reinstall, but before I lose all my configuration choices, I thought I would check: Is there any way I can debug this?

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Don't know for a fact this will work, but it won't hurt a thing to try... upload a fresh copy of Sources/QueryString.php  from the install package and try to navigate to your site again...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

GregJ7

Thanks for the suggestion. The QueryString.php compared as being unchanged from the downloaded version.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Check with your host for the error log, too.

richardwbb

So from what you have written, smf is able to connect to the database. Would grabbing a message with 'ssi', do any good. You alse might be able to run a forum in another directory [a clean one], with the same Settings.php. That are two ideas, I've went to exchanging directories and files  with a 'mint' smf forum, to find index.php to be the culprit and contained the offensive code, I cautiously moved this code to index.template.php [noticing it was my cookie script that borked with php big time, haha], also, repair_settings.php and a default copy of the default theme [so not to be have been touched by a modification], isn't promising, but it seems you will have to exclude possibillities, to make a difference [a noticeable to anyone], from here.

On a side note, while I have been running 'dual smf fora' with the same Settings.php and mysql database, I would shutdown the live forum within Settings.php. The biggest error, for me that is, is not reading or noticing where I am doing what, smf closes in to 100% and far beyond 99%, for reliabillity versus my own mistakes.

Here is some ssi;

<?php $array ssi_boardNews(16.01325000'array');

foreach ($array as $news)
{
echo ' <h1>'$news['subject'], '</h1>'$news['body'], '<br /><br />
<p>-some text-</p>
<p>-some more text-</p>'
;

if (!$news['is_last'])
echo '
<hr width="100%" />
<br />
'
;
}

?>

Note that this example I've posted might work or it won't, I've made it with help of the community [topics]. I give zero percent guarantee, there are caveats with the ideas I've posted, it is a 'your mileage might vary' [YMMV]. On a side note, my personal thought is going to m.domain.tld and forum.domain.tld, and to make 'm.domain.tld', appear with a proper template for mobiles, however, the switcher modification [Mobile Device Detect], won't switch properly and I should contact the developer, or learn on my own, but that would be a 'dual forum with dual Settings.php, I know mysql and php can do it, for smf, it appears so, but I won't risk my database for anything. Nuff said, haha.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Kindred

Ummmmmmmmm.... what?

Your post is completely unrelated to the question . .

And also indicates a very bad configuration. You never never want multiple installs to share the same settings or database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GregJ7

Thanks for all the suggestions. I hadn't installed any mods.

I wiped everything and downloaded the beta, and the same thing happened after I set up the first page of settings. It might be something with my ISPs default configuration for me.

Arantor

So check with your host for the error log...

shawnb61

Have you tried running repair_settings.php?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

GregJ7

Ah, repair_settings.php is what I was hoping to find out about initially (bypassing my need for debugging), but I have since moved on to other forum software.

Advertisement: