News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrade error upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.0.13

Started by Tansy, April 28, 2017, 08:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tansy

When I found this topic I thought, "Whoo Hoo, my problem solved!" 
But no.
Like Tyffyn, I was running SMF 1.1.19 and wanted to upgrade to 2.0.13 and got the english language error message.
So backed myself out, restored my files and made sure my forum was working again (yes).
Then I extracted and upgraded to 2.0.12 and tried again.  Boom, language error again.
So backed myself out again, restored my files, made sure my forum was working again (yes).
Then extracted and updated the only theme on my forum other than core & default and checked everything was working (yes).
Then tried to upgrade again to 2.0.12 and again Boom, language error message.

Arrgghh ... help?  Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Steve

If I remember correctly, you need to be on 1.1.21 before upgrading to 2.x.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Tansy

Quote from: Steve on April 28, 2017, 08:23:18 PM
If I remember correctly, you need to be on 1.1.21 before upgrading to 2.x.

Apologies, I was/am on 1.1.21 before trying to upgrade ....

Sir Osis of Liver

Assuming you've uploaded the complete 2.0.13 large upgrade package, all of the english language files have this at the top -

// Version: 2.0;

... except for index.english.php -

// Version: 2.0.12; index

... and ManagePaid.english.php -

// Version: 2.0.10; ManagePaid

Try changing them to 2.0, see what happens.  I've used the upgrade package many times, and have never seen this problem.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

The error is thrown by upgrade.php here -

elseif (!isset($_GET['skiplang']))
{
$temp = substr(@implode('', @file($modSettings['theme_dir'] . '/languages/index.' . $upcontext['language'] . '.php')), 0, 4096);
preg_match('~(?://|/\*)\s*Version:\s+(.+?);\s*index(?:[\s]{2}|\*/)~i', $temp, $match);

if (empty($match[1]) || $match[1] != SMF_LANG_VERSION)
return throw_error('The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, ' . $upcontext['language'] . '.<br /><br />Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[<a href="' . $upgradeurl . '?skiplang">SKIP</a>] [<a href="' . $upgradeurl . '?lang=english">Try English</a>]');
}

Looks like it checks version in index.english.php (or whichever language is selected in Settings.php), and errors out if there's no match.  Too tired to understand the preg_match, but editing the version number in that file may fix the problem.

- R. Waters

Illori

topic split, please open a separate topic for your issue, the other topic belongs to someone else.

Tansy

Apologies Illori for tagging onto another user's question ... different forums, different rules, will do better next time!

Sir Osis of Liver - will happily try your suggestions today and let you know what happens!  Thank you

Tansy

Nope, still not working ...  this is the message I get ... same message I was getting before ...

Simple Machines Forum

1: Login
    2: Upgrade Options
    3: Backup
    4: Database Changes
    5: Delete Upgrade

0%          : 0 , 0 .                          Updating Your SMF Install!

The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, english.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.
   [SKIP] [Try English]

Click here to try again.
SMF ©2015, Simple Machines

I've tried the "try English" link and nothing it just returns to this screen.

Tansy

When I use "SKIP", I get the following and then it doesn't recognize my forum admin login information and I bounce back to the screen in the previous post

Simple Machines Forum

1: Login
    2: Upgrade Options
    3: Backup
    4: Database Changes
    5: Delete Upgrade

0%          : 0 , 0 .           Updating Your SMF Install!

!!

Admin Login:
For security purposes please login with your admin account to proceed with the upgrade.
Username:    
Password:    

Note: If necessary the above security check can be bypassed for users who may administrate a server but not have admin rights on the forum. In order to bypass the above check simply open "upgrade.php" in a text editor and replace "$disable_security = 0;" with "$disable_security = 1;" and refresh this page.

Illori

can you restore your SMF 1.1.* files you had before then run What is repair_settings.php? making sure all the paths are correct then run the upgrade again.

Tansy

Thank you Illori - will try as you suggest and will let you know what happens!

Tansy

Reloaded my original 1.1.21 forum, checked to make sure it worked then downloaded & ran repair_settings.php no problem.

All of the settings look like they should ... paths are correct, server information is correct and the language is "english" (lowercase "e" - would that make a difference?)

Uploaded the large upgrade 2.0.13 files and ran upgrade.php and got exactly the same error messages.

Have I missed something implied in the step-by-step instructions? (these ones - https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading)

Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Illori

is the default theme path/URL defined correctly? so it actually goes to the default themes folder?

Tansy

Okey dokey, managed to make a big leap ahead but am now stalled again.

So, started from scratch once again.  Ran repair_settings again.  Checked all the paths and there was one URL pointing to an old location for the forum.  Fixed it.  Downloaded 2.0.13 large upgrade again. Uploaded to my forum and ran the upgrade.  DID NOT get the language error again (whoo hoo!) and managed to complete the upgrade no problem.  Checked forum out and all the data looked wonderful!!  Wasn't keen about the theme so not taking any chances, checked out the themes that were compatible with 2.0.13, found four I thought might be workable so downloaded them to see how they would work with the way I have set up my forum - a couple are very different looking so could only decide by actually trying them out.  Downloading seemed to go fine.  Didn't actually try to "install" or "activate" them as I couldn't stay to play.  So removed repair_settings.php and upgrade.php and left my computer. 

Came back a couple of hours later, tried to open up my forum and all I get is Unable to load the 'main_above' template.  And now I am stumped.  Repair_settings looks good, don't know if upgrading again will fix or make the problem worse or if I need to manually modify a file or part of my SQL database .... argh, so close to being back up and running .... sigh.

Thank you for helping me get this far, and I hope you can help again ...

Kindred

the error has nothing to do with the database.

if you had a theme left over from the 1.1.x installation that might cause issues.

try using index.php?theme=1 as your url....  then reset everyone to the default (Curve) theme
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Tansy

Thanks for the suggestion Kindred ... tried it as suggested and got the same message I'm afraid.

Had a look at the files in the root directory of my forum and I have two index.php files - one is index.php and the other is index1.php.  Can't say that I saw it before, but wasn't looking so it could be right where it is supposed to be.

Sir Osis of Liver

Use phpmyadmin to reset default theme to Curve.  In smf_settings set theme_default to 1.

- R. Waters

Tansy

SUCCESS!!  ;D
Thank you so very much for your help everyone! 

I am now back on track and all looks to be working perfectly. 
Hopefully I don't screw it up now  :o

Advertisement: