Problem with the saving of other language script (like farsi, arabic)

Started by braemt, April 29, 2017, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braemt

Our forum is in the Dutch language, but now and again, we need to quote exact text from the original language. This wasn't an issue in the past.

Since the upgrade to 2.0, I received this complaint from the members. I checked the database, and the text gets saved as "? ? ? ?", while in 1.0 it was being saved correctly, as e.g. "الجمهو". Entering it in the post (while you are typing the message), is no problem, and also the preview of the post shows the script correctly.

Is there an option that I need to activate, that got switched off in the upgrade? Or is it a feature that has gotten lost all together, and is there a mod for this available? I assume this problem kan effect other languages too, like Japanese, Chinese.

Kind regards,
Braemt

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

braemt

Isn't that a standard setting? My MySQL is utf_general_ci. Do I need to edit this in another place, since I think the db is ok?

Kind regards,
Braemt

Kindred

smf 2.0.x installed as iso by default - so, unless you changed it during installation, it is not utf8

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/UTF-8_Readme#How_to_convert_to_UTF-8

and check the ACTUAL collation of the tables and columns  not the entire database
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

braemt

I have tried this method, but failed. I'm afraid this is too complex for me. If someone could assist me in this, I would be interested, but if not, we will keep it as is.

The results I achieved made me lose the special characters (é, è, ç,...), and those are used way more, than the special scripts, like Arabic, on our forum.

Thanks for the information. I assume it is possible to resolve. It just takes too many operations to fix it without issues, I think.

Kind regards,
Braemt

Advertisement: