News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mobile support yet no emojis?

Started by kat★, May 06, 2017, 02:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat★

Heyo,

just noticed that even though 2.1's major selling point is responsiveness and mobile support, there seems to be a bug with emojis. If you use any smartphone emoji in a post, it is automatically empty, no text before or after it is shown in the post.
Reproduce the issue by going to emojipedia.org/glowing-star/ and copying an emoji, then pasting it in the post box and clicking preview (also no matter what is written in the white box, the preivew will be empty regardless).

Once 2.1 is released, this bug could render lots of posts made by mobile users empty...
Just a heads up! Loving how the build is taking shape! Cheers!
I use smf to learn to write php and css. It's pretty neat. |

Arantor

What version are you using? There was general compatibility added from the patch in 2.0.x and there's been better support added recently in the form of native DB support for emoji.

kat★

The latest from github. 2.1 Beta 3

In my live version of 2.0.13 the issue is a bit different, the emojis still aren't displayed but don't make the text in the post disappear.

Sesquipedalian

I cannot reproduce this using iOS. What operating system are you using when you see the problem, kat★?
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

kat★

The messages once posted are fine, but the preview sends incorrect info.
I got the following warning:
QuoteThe message has the following error or errors that must be corrected before continuing:
    The message body was left empty.
But in the body I had: "Ayy lmao 🤗"
The Quick Edit function does the same. "The message body was left empty."
Try quoting this message and just click "Preview". The same message will appear here too.

Sesquipedalian

Thanks. Yes, now I see it for the preview. Quick Edit worked fine for me, though.

I'll look into this soon(-ish). Tracked at https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/4058
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Illori

Sesquipedalian

Well, I meant Quick Edit, but perhaps kat★ meant Quick Reply. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Sesquipedalian

In my tests, posting from Quick Reply works fine. Previewing from Quick Reply doesn't, since it leads to the same code as previewing from the main posting form.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

albertlast

kat★

Nice! Good job people sorry if my explanation was a little confusing. The commit works for me in the latest build of 2.1 btw
And yes I meant Quick Edit, not quick reply. Cheers~

Advertisement: