Help - Can't fully change theme

Started by Jsizizzle, May 06, 2017, 08:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

You'd probably fix it by uploading a fresh copy of everything from the large upgrade package, do the upgade procedure, then reinstall all your mods except anything related to changing/modifying the url... would be quicker than trying to track down what got broken in my opinion
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Illori

it is not exactly the same process as upgrading.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files but i dont think it is needed if the op can follow directions and uninstall the referenced mod or revert the code change.

Jsizizzle

Sounds good. The only problem is I don't see an option for 2.013which is the version I'm using.  How do install the large update package after I download the zip file?  Do u place the zip file anywhere on my website or do I install it like a mod?

Kindred

To use the upgrade files, you need to replace the files on your server... so, no... a package update will not work
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

atsuyim

Quote from: Jsizizzle on May 08, 2017, 01:40:28 AM
I did the reset and am still getting the main portal page staying the same and the forums are the only parts that actually have a theme change. Can't figure this out

Please delete all your history and than see if it works else try another browser. Hope it works for you
Like mathematics, computer science will be somewhat different from the other sciences, in that it deals with artificial laws that can be proved, instead of natural laws that are never known with certainty.

– Donald Knuth

Jsizizzle

I did a reset and that still didn't fix it.  I also removed the index removing mod and that didn't work either.  I still can't get the main portal page to change themes.  I can change all other pages to whatever theme I'd like.  I just can't change the main pages theme. I'd like to think there's a simple fix for this and am hoping someone can figure this out for me as I'd like to change my theme.

Illori

then you should post in the portal mods support topic so they can assist you further.

Jsizizzle

My problem is not with a mod.  My problem is not being able to change the theme of my portal front page. I have a test page at playersprogramu.com/smf where I can change the theme including the front page no problem. My real page at playersprogramu.com is where I have a problem changing the theme and I can't figure out what is different between the 2 sites is that's not letting me fully change the theme on my main site. 

Sir Osis of Liver

The problem is in the theme select portal block, it's finding the theme thumbnails, but not the themes.  There's either a problem with the block code, or theme paths are incorrect in your production forum.  Look in Admin -> Look and Layout -> Theme Settings.  Are the themes installed?  Theme paths correct?  Do you see the theme files in /Themes directory?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Jsizizzle

Yes the themes are in the theme folder and the paths are correct. When I change the theme the forms and all other pages change to the theme I want. It's just the main portal page that does not change

Sir Osis of Liver

As guest, I don't see any change anywhere, it reverts back to Vertex on homepage and forum.  Are members allowed to change theme?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Jsizizzle

I don't have it set for guests to change theme.

Kindred

Quote from: Jsizizzle on May 09, 2017, 06:07:46 PM
My problem is not with a mod.  My problem is not being able to change the theme of my portal front page

Which would seem to be the very definition of a mod related problem
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jsizizzle

I posted this in portal mod and it got deleted. Can someone tell me if the main index file is what needs to be fixed?  Maybe I can copy the index file of my test site over to my real site. Would that work?  My last resort would be to upgrade 2.013 with 2.013 if possible?   How would I do an upgrade ?

Illori

no you did not post in the portal mods support topic. you made a new topic which is a duplicate of this one so it got deleted. you need to post in the correct location to get further assistance.

Arantor

And the problem I outlined is still there which is likely related...

Kindred

however... to answer your last question...

yes, loading a fresh/clean set of files and removing hooks would probably solve your issue as well.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

As the Project Manager indicated, if you're not going to utilize the link Kindred posted, please post in the portal's support thread here: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=227599.0

Locking.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: