main admin username and pw in public plaintext error

Started by jeremy_cct, May 10, 2017, 10:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremy_cct

Not so much a bug since your documentation mentions that the forum only works with PHP 4 and 5, but this needs to be stated. I had a decent size forum running (~300 members) and the web host performed a PHP upgrade to version 7. This took the forum down. The problem is that in place of the forum was two lines of plaintext which contained the main admin username and password. That is major. Something which drops the forum should not reveal user credentials.

I would link to the page but to protect that info, I deleted the forum.

Steve

SMF currently does not support PHP 7. An upgrade to be released shortly will fix that.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

Kindred

It's a hint that you need to get a better host...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jeremy_cct

Ahh, I see. Sorry, I had missed that other article. I am glad it isn't an issue with the forum at least. I pulled a backup of the files before removing it so maybe I can get it restored easy enough later.

As for the webhost, this domain is with siteground and they have been great about everything else so far. They have been contacted and are resolving this on their end.

Thank you for the fast response here.

Arantor

Great other than updating your site without checking it was OK first?

Advertisement: