News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Buggered up a mod :/

Started by MadMick, May 12, 2017, 01:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMick

Hi Guys,

I run a large hunting/shooting related forum, please don't hold that against me. Yesterday I finally managed to ge the time to upgrade it from version 1.1.20 to 2.0.13. All that went better than expected, then I started adding a few mods, keeping them to a minimum as the last forum had way too many, anyway, this afternoon I manually tried to install the mod "removemodified_1.2.zip" and somehow I stuffed the editing and now my forum just throws up white blank pages.

The forum can be found at http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?action=forum but of course it no longer works, the files I changed I kept on my desktop but it still doesn't work, is there any hope of getting this sorted at all, its was only a very small mod and I can't see it causing so much drama.

I am more than willing to pay someone to have a look

The files in question are;

./index.php
./Themes/default/Display.template.php (this is most likely the culprit as I mixed up the new and old files  :-[ )
./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php
Regards,

Mick.

AHN Moderators - Can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you"

Illori

check your server error log, it will tell you what the error is causing the white page. post the error here along with attaching the file that has the error in it. if you dont have time to wait to fix the error then upload fresh files. https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Gluz

Quote from: MadMick on May 12, 2017, 01:30:57 AM
was only a very small mod and I can't see it causing so much drama.

As simple as missing a semicolon can trow a white page and keep the forum down.

Most likely you miss something in the edit, you can review that, or attach the files to see if someone catches the error, but as Illori says, the server error_log will tell you what file and line the error is exactly.

MadMick

Sorry guys, I did rectify the problem by comparing the files and I found the error and that sorted that, now of course my "show age and location" mod has stopped working.

I'm leaving it as is for now, thanks so much for you replies, if I can't work the other issued out I might ask again :)
Regards,

Mick.

Steve

Marking solved then. If you have any other questions regarding this topic, by all means, mark this unsolved and let us know. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

MadMick

Quote from: Steve on May 13, 2017, 07:34:59 PM
Marking solved then. If you have any other questions regarding this topic, by all means, mark this unsolved and let us know. :)

Yes mate, I marked it solved, very handy that is, use it a lot on my own forum  :)
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

Sorry guys, the thing just let go again, I think it just didn't like the way I rectified it earlier. SO, not to try this method

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

I'll keep you posted  :)
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

Quote from: MadMick on May 14, 2017, 04:31:20 AM
Sorry guys, the thing just let go again, I think it just didn't like the way I rectified it earlier. SO, not to try this method

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

I'll keep you posted  :)

A total noob question here, but can someone point me to the files I have to download for the fresh set of files, I can only find the complete upgrade files?
Regards,

Mick.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MadMick

Regards,

Mick.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

MadMick

Hey mate,

I downloaded and installed 2.0.13 before I seen this, but when asked to update it in the admin section, it told me the testing was all ok, the install went all ok, and yet the mod didn't take, its still asking me to upgrade to 2.0.14?

Also, the only mod I have been able to successfully instal is Tiny Portal and Tapatalk, the other mods say they have been oinstalled ok, but they don't show up anywhere?.

The mods are as follows;

1.    Welcome Topic Mod    2.2    [ Uninstall ]
2.    Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin    4.4.1    [ Uninstall ]
3.    JDALIP - Join Date And Location In Posbit    1.3.2    [ Uninstall ]
4.    Show JDALLAUI in Post and PM    1.3    [ Uninstall ]
5.    TinyPortal    1.2
6.     SMF 2.0.14 Update    1.0

Installed in the opposite direction from the list, ie, SMF 2.0.14 installed first and so on.

Its a pain in the back side, but would you suggest installing 2.0.14 from scratch now before I get too many more mods installed?. Can I unzip and then just upload all of the 2.0.14 files over the top of the old files which were only installed today?, I hate the fact that I know there is an error and that it will come back to haunt me one day.

Can someone please give me a quick step by step version of how to do the update?, I have been mucking about with SMF for a long time and am ok at manually installing many of the mods, but I have never had to install a fresh install over an existing installation?.

Thanks in advance for any help  :)

Regards,

Mick.

vbgamer45

Yes you just upload the unzipped files from the large upgrade over the old ones.
Then resintall the mods one by one
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

Actually, it sounds like your server is misconfigured and, although the smf tests were successful and smf THINKS that the mod installed, your server file permissions or file ownership settings (chmod or chown) are misconfigured so that the edits get rejected by the server, without generating an error
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MadMick

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2017, 05:10:59 PM
Actually, it sounds like your server is misconfigured and, although the smf tests were successful and smf THINKS that the mod installed, your server file permissions or file ownership settings (chmod or chown) are misconfigured so that the edits get rejected by the server, without generating an error

I think you might be onto something there, I know I had to get them to change ownership of some folders, like the Mobique for Tapatalk as I couldn't CHMOD them. I'll get onto them again and see how I go.

If I go the reinstall direction, which I think I will, do I need to delete the sources and templates folders before uploading to stop any old remnants staying there?
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

This is giving me the ******s. I did a total clean install, deleted everything that was in my public_html folder, then uploaded the 2.0.13 files and installed them, that all went well, I thin started importing the files from the old public_html saved folder to get smiley packs and images, avatars etc back up and running, most of that went fine but missing a few which is no big deal.

The real annoying thins is that before I started to impost anything, I tried to upgrade the forum to version 2.0.14 and that said it installed ok, except when you logged back into the admin section, it still said you needed to upgrade your forum and there was a second link saying to install from here, which I did with the same result. On the bottom of the forum page, it also still showed version 2.0.13 so I tried once more and the whole thing failed leaving me with a plain white page  :-\.

So, I had to go through the whole process yet again, and ended up with the same result, so now have done clean install number 3 and sont dare upgrade it to 2.0.14 :/.

Is it possible the next upgrade 2.0.15 might go though and just leave it until then? I really don't want to lose it all again as its giving the members and myself  the ******s.

I am using the default curve theme and don't dare try another, not that it matters as I quite like it, and the few members that don't will just have to suck it up as I want to leave this install as fresh as possible. I have managed to install Tiny Portal and Tapatalk and that's about as far as I have gone with mods for now, the whole exercise has left me a bit shell shocked, especially as I had to spent a whole day in hospital yesterday to treat chronic neck pain  :-\

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on what I can do, could you please help out with some encouraging comments :)

Cheers and thanks,

Mick
Regards,

Mick.

Steve

Quote from: MadMick on May 17, 2017, 08:09:38 PMIs it possible the next upgrade 2.0.15 might go though and just leave it until then? I really don't want to lose it all again as its giving the members and myself  the ******s.

The problem here is that one still has to patch up to 14 to patch up to 15. Believe me, the team is working feverishly to correct the situation.
DO NOT pm me for support!

MadMick

Quote from: Steve on May 17, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
Quote from: MadMick on May 17, 2017, 08:09:38 PMIs it possible the next upgrade 2.0.15 might go though and just leave it until then? I really don't want to lose it all again as its giving the members and myself  the ******s.

The problem here is that one still has to patch up to 14 to patch up to 15. Believe me, the team is working feverishly to correct the situation.

Oh, so its not just me having issues with the 14 patch? Either way, I appreciate the hard work that goes into this great forum platform. When I was upgrading from version 1.0.20 to Version 2.0.13, I seriously thought about going to a paid forum platform, but everyone you speak to say this is the base and I have been using it one several forums for well over 15 years.

Is there anywhere I can make a small donation in appreciation of the dedicated coders, testers and general help staff, just running one forum with well over 2 million posts and 9000 members I realise just how much work goes into it and would be very happy to give a bit in return

Cheers and thanks,

Mick
Regards,

Mick.

Gluz

That sounds like the file permissions/ownership are wrong, so the patch don't actually modify the files, just the test is OK.

You need to check if the permissions are like SMF requires and the PHP can modify files in your account.

Advertisement: