News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Long shot question - ability to batch convert linked embedded images to hosted

Started by taysan, April 03, 2017, 09:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taysan

I run a large (40K members, 800K posts) motorcycle related forum, where members post up their projects etc.  Some of the project discussions span many years and have hundreds of posts with photos.

I encourage members to upload the photos to the site, so they are always available.  Photobucket and other hosting sites are of course dependant on the member maintaining their subscription, the hosting service itself being there forever etc.

I don't care about storage requirements or bandwidth.  I'm happy to spend more on hosting services (Linode VPS) if it means the images which make up so much of our content are in our control.

SO - question is - is there a way (modification, add-on, custom scripting) to scrape the site for IMG links outside our domain, download the images and update the IMG links with the new URL of our internally hosted image?

Illori

Kindred

however.... regardless of the version of SMF, the answer is no.

... and doing that may actually be illegal in many cases
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

taysan

rajanmahajan

Ability to batch convert linked embedded images to hosted - I will say no. I think that it is a right way to do it.

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on April 03, 2017, 11:17:36 AM
however.... regardless of the version of SMF, the answer is no.

... and doing that may actually be illegal in many cases
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: