Would being behind a reverse proxy break the image proxy

Started by Jailer, May 15, 2017, 08:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jailer

Just installed 2.0.14 and I can't get the image proxy to work. I've checked the code in proxy.php this post and the code is correct. Only thing I can think of is if my reverse proxy is somewhow breaking things.

It seems any external image that is not served via https is broken. Most of my users use photobucket and that's the most broken pics.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to debug this to see what's going on? Or is there any more information I can post that will help?

Forum is private but I can provide log in info for a shill user account I use to check things from a standard user account if needed.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Jailer

Colin

Can you check your server error log and look for an error happening in proxy.php?

Also, when did you update to 2.0.14?

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Jailer

A couple hours ago. I already checked the error log and nothing. Let me change the logging level and I'll try again, I've got it set to log critical errors only.

Jailer

Disregard it's set to warn so it should show an error and there are none.

Colin

Hmm are you sure you are looking at the correct log?

-2017-05-15 18:13:41--  https://xxxx.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.colinschoen.com%2Fimage.php%3Fdi%3DWMKB&hash=e70b406752350bb1222c3e8c5158ecdd
Resolving xxx.com... 67.209.241.26
Connecting to xxxx.com|67.209.241.26|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 Internal Server Error
2017-05-15 18:13:43 ERROR 500: Internal Server Error.

[edit] removed URL as user said it was private. -- Illori

Colin

Jailer

Doesn't show up in the proxy server log or the back end server log. I see that it shows in the browser.

edit: I'm assuming then since it's a 500 error it's likely a configuration problem on my end correct?

Colin

Likely, but can you attach your proxy.php file please. Regardless we should be seeing something in the error log.

Colin

Jailer

Attached. I'll check back after work today. I also turned it off so my users wouldn't wonder why their pics disappeared and try to do something to fix it.

Jailer

Well looks like I'm going to have to disable the image proxy feature.   :(

Bummer, I was really looking forward to implementing this since I don't have enough bandwidth to host pictures. 

Colin

Using the image proxy is essentially hosting the images. It will use the same amount of bandwidth as if they were served as an attachment.

Colin

Jailer

Ok, I misunderstood how this feature works. Even though the issue isn't "fixed" I'm going to mark this topic solved since I won't be able to implement it due to my limited bandwidth.

Thanks Colin for looking into this, sorry if I wasted your time.

Advertisement: