News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Post counts - setting character count for a post to count

Started by ravishu, May 17, 2017, 11:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravishu

It would be great if there was a way to limit post counts so that only substantive content counted.  We get too many members that make one or two word posts just to get a certain number of posts needed to unlock certain areas of the board or access the PM function.

We've had problems with weirdos making stupid posts just so they could harass female members with indecent proposals via PM.  There are also members that make really thoughtful posts that get overshadowed by people playing in the game threads "Movies ABC" - start with a movie that begins with A, etc., that require just a few words to answer.

Irisado

You can modify board permissions, so that certain boards do not increase post count.  That would solve at least some of the problems that you're referring to with game playing topics (assuming that they are all in the same board).  Otherwise, the problem sounds like one of moderation to me. Make it against the forum rules to post non-constructive one liner replies and delete any posts breaching those rules.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

ravishu

I am aware of the ability to make posts on certain boards not count.

Our board guarantees freedom of speech, so yeah drop a meme if you want, but I don't want it to count as a post.

Shambles

Slap this mod in:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1528

Yeah, it's spelt incorrectly (minimun  ::)) but you could use it to dispel posts with insignificant content.

ravishu

Except I don't want to stop these posts, I just don't want them to count.

Gluz

It's surprising that there is no MOD that does this.

Give me some time, I have the idea on how to do it, but need to test it.

Shambles

The mod I linked to could easily be adapted to disable the postcount increment for qualifying posts.

Gluz

Quote from: Shambles on May 18, 2017, 05:45:04 PM
The mod I linked to could easily be adapted to disable the postcount increment for qualifying posts.
That mod only trow an error if the message doesn't have the minimum characters or words to be posted, and that is way before the post options were passed to the createPost function.

The modifications that need that mod to disable the post count increment is to remove the only modification to the Post.php file and change it to the appropriate place, and that is basically making a new mod, because there are some more things to take in account when updating the post count.

I have tested some things, including delete posts, if that if they didn't update the post count on creation, then they didn't update the post count on removal. Have a setting in the Admin Panel next to the Max length of the post.

Gluz

Well after test in a couple of test forums, I have the package, I'll submit that to the MOD site, but it won't show up until the team review and approve the MOD, and that could take some time.

ravishu

Quote from: Gluz on May 18, 2017, 10:46:28 PM
Well after test in a couple of test forums, I have the package, I'll submit that to the MOD site, but it won't show up until the team review and approve the MOD, and that could take some time.

Awesome!  I am happy to wait.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Gluz

Hello,

The Customization Team has just approved the MOD, after a few revisions of the install code.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4145

Advertisement: