News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

image / attachment

Started by DWFII, May 20, 2017, 01:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWFII

Is there a way to re-name the attachment button? to something like "your images" or" Local images" or "upload a photo?" Many users end up confused about the difference between "images" and "attachments."

Frankly, I think that the "images" icon/link ought to swap places with the attachment icon/link. Images (that you input from localized photos, etc.) should be part of the formatting  and editing of a post, ans so should be on the formatting bar. images that come from the Internet are outside input and should be a separate function (or a different icon on the formatting bar)...much like "attachments" are now, although it may need a different name.

In any case, it is confusing...I can't tell you how many times as a moderator and Admin I have had members PM me to ask how to post photos from their own hard drive.

Kindred

Ummm.... 

Your request and understanding seem to be the oppisite of what most people understand...

Never the less, inline attachments is part of 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DWFII

Quote from: Kindred on May 20, 2017, 09:48:46 PM
Ummm.... 

Your request and understanding seem to be the oppisite of what most people understand...

Never the less, inline attachments is part of 2.1

Thank you...

Well, horses for courses, I suspect. That said, I have been posting to internet forums since before there was an "official" Internet. Fidonet it was called then. And I have, over the years, seen many iterations of forum software...from text based to html forums through CGI to now php.

The best implementation of image posting was on a forum where if you clicked on the image icon a window opened that gave you a choice--either upload from a local HD or enter a URL.

Maybe there's a mod in there somewhere.

[As an aside and apropos of nothing in particular...but one of the reasons I am intent on moving to a different platform, is that a person has to believe that somewhere out there is a software package where courteous support, whether the user is a newbie or clueless or whatever, doesn't cost extra.]

Kindred

I was not discourteous...

(And I was using and running dial up bbses before fideonet was a thing) ;)

Anyway... as I said, inline attachments is part of 2.1 (and there is a mod for it in 2.0, I believe)
Attachments and URL images have always been treated separately, as far as BBC is concerned....  conflating the two would be somewhat confusing, imo
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DWFII

Quote from: Kindred on May 21, 2017, 08:47:42 AM
I was not discourteous...

My apologies if it seemed I was suggesting that you were. That said, your self-chosen  "moniker" is The Mean One.  :) 

That said, I have had some bad experiences with "support" personnel  with the software I am currently running. It's as if the fact that the software is free grants licence to some people to be dismissive of the users' needs / experiences...perhaps even a little contemptuous.

Anyway... as I said, inline attachments is part of 2.1 (and there is a mod for it in 2.0, I believe)
Attachments and URL images have always been treated separately, as far as BBC is concerned....  conflating the two would be somewhat confusing, imo

Perhaps in your mind. And as a dev you presumably have sound reasons to take that position.

But as a user, and as an Admin who hears from users, I know for a fact that many people (who just want to get on with posting) don't "get it," don't see it that way and don't understand the why's and wherefores. I have heard it...a lot. And I have seen (and used) forums that didn't make it so difficult for the "unwashed," as who should say.

In that regard, I notice that in the 2.1 support forum there is another member who has expressed similar concerns (Here). So obviously I am not alone in my thinking.

It begs the question--Who do you develop software for? The devs or the user?

--

Illori

we have to develope for both the developers and the users, if the developers dont have time or dont have the will to code something the users want often enough it does not end up getting done.

Kindred

Also, the poster in the thread which you linked to did not try the new inline feature and thus was not providing a valid complaint. :P
Слaва
Украинi

DWFII

Quote from: Kindred on May 21, 2017, 01:35:34 PM
Also, the poster in the thread which you linked to did not try the new inline feature and thus was not providing a valid complaint. :P

but that's not really the issue...the issue is that he had the same concern I did--namely that it is confusing to non-tech users to make a distinction between images and attachments when in most cases both will be photos.Just from different sources.

That said, I can't even get the attachment function here to work...I choose the file / photo on my HD but no other option is offered except "clear attachment." No way to insert into the post.

And while I'm at it why is the formatting bar not available when editing?

DWFII

Pardon me...it did not offer to insert nor did it preview...yet there it is.

!!

I think that would be difficult for users  as well.

I think I've seen a mod for inserting inline images ...and attachments?...and presumably YouTube videos, as well. But honestly, people,  the less intuitive an interface is the more it discourages use. 

Kindred

no... his contention was that adding inline attachments needed to be included. :)  Which we did

and no...   although on YOUR site, they might be the same thing -- on many sites that I visit and admin, there are MANY other sorts of attachments.
Docs, images, code snippets, music files... etc

You seem to have gotten the attachment to function just fine, since there was an attachment image in the last post.

As for why... because it's not available when editing inline.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: