News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can I ask?

Started by DWFII, May 21, 2017, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWFII

How long ago was the development of 2.1 begun?

How long does a development cycle usually last before the it is released?

I read the stickies. I know that no dates will be given. But I am not asking for specific dates...I am just wondering how long a 2.0.14 install can be expected to be viable before I need / want to rip it out, as who should say, and move to bigger and better?

I would like to migrate my phpBB3 forum to SMF, but SMF will need some tweaking to retain the functionality, as well as the look and feel, of the phpBB forum. I am assured that SMF 2.1 is a major release and that upgrading in such circumstances will be problematic. (Which is the exact same circumstance I am facing currently and the primary reason I want to migrate in the first place--phpBB3 is no longer supported and i have enough customization to make upgrading a nightmare. )

Arantor

QuoteHow long ago was the development of 2.1 begun?

5 and a half years.

QuoteHow long does a development cycle usually last before the it is released?

1.0 was 2003 to 2005 or so.
1.1 was 2005 to 2006.
2.0 was 2006 to 2011.
2.1 was 2011 to now and not even in a release candidate state (it's still beta)

Honestly, I have no idea when SMF 2.1 will ever actually be a formal release. I once joked it would be 2020 - but I'm not sure that will be wildly off the mark given current progress.

Kindred

To answer your other question...

2.0.x will likely continue to be supported until 3.0 is released...  we typically support two versions - one for security only releases and one for security and major bug fixes, while the next version is in development
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DWFII

Quote from: Kindred on May 21, 2017, 08:50:53 AM
To answer your other question...

2.0.x will likely continue to be supported until 3.0 is released...  we typically support two versions - one for security only releases and one for security and major bug fixes, while the next version is in development

My thanks to both of you.

That said, how likely is it that there will be a 2.015 or 2.0.16?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

DWFII

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 21, 2017, 10:37:01 AM
Very likely 2.0.15

Thanks...so, three - five years life expectancy on 2.0.xx?

Illori

it will live on until 3.0 is released.

Kindred

As for 2.0.x ---   there will continue to be 2.0.x releases as long as we continue to support the version for security releases...  and as security reports are filed and issues fixed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: