Couple of rather annoying bugs

Started by Beowulf1976, May 21, 2017, 02:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf1976

I am no longer able to use the core features within my forum?

when I click on them, it just sends me back to the main admin page without selecting them.

Also, I can't do ANYTHING twice? So if I click on Modify on the post I am working on, do my mod then click save, if I think of something else and immediately click Modify again, it does nothing, I have to go out of that screen, into another, then I can go back and Modify.

This is not just modify though, that was an example, I am not able to click on ANYTHING twice, the second time, nothing happens. So if I modify a member group, and click save, then click on that member group again (because -yes, I forgot something, notice a theme here?) it does nothing, I have to go into another one, then I can go back in to the one before.

It's so flippin' annoying, but I have been tolerating it because I didn't think you'd believe me if I said it was even a problem.

I look forward to hearing from you guys :)

Running 2.0.14
Mods:

NB: These problems were happening prior to installing the 2.1 style admin area, so that didn't break it.
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Beowulf1976

"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Illori

did you ask your host to disable it? often hosts dont let the account owner disable it completely.

Beowulf1976

Just to update, I am waiting for a server admin to state whether or  not they can disable it, the first line support thought that it was not possible on shared servers, but escalated it to their senior admins

Illori

if they cannot disable it, then time to find a new host that does not use mod_security. it is not required for SMF and as you can see causes more issues then it fixes.

Beowulf1976

They have finally disabled it on my domain, but I'm still having issues.

Illori

then i doubt they actually did what they said they did.

Colin

Can you check the server logs and see what error you are getting. It still does sound as if the likely culprit is mod_security.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Dzonny

You may also try to see if mod_security is really loaded or not via phpinfo file that you can create.

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Dzonny on May 23, 2017, 11:06:20 AM
You may also try to see if mod_security is really loaded or not via phpinfo file that you can create.

could you please explain to a noob how to do that? :)

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Beowulf1976

I don't know how to decipher it lol :D

Dzonny

Looks like mod_security is turned off now really.

Do you have anything in your error log maybe?

Beowulf1976

Beowulf1976

there was nothing on the server error logs. I don't know about the forum as I'm currently restoring a back up after a mod broke it hehe

Beowulf1976

OK, same issues with completely new hosting. There's no error logs listed. I contacted this host and asked them about mod-sec they said thy are not able to disable it BUT when they looked into it thoroughly the Mod_sec rule is not being triggered AT ALL.

So - I'm now at a loss.

The hosting company say that it's an issue with the forum software, nothing their end. IF anyone wants to borrow my spare testing admin account to come and see what they think, they are welcome.

Kindred

Except that evidence would suggest the opposite, since the smf script works perfectly well, without this issue on literally hundreds of other hosts....   which means that the issue is something specific to your host's configuration
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Try uninstalling the 2.1 Style Admin Area mod and see if that fixes it.

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Arantor on June 04, 2017, 05:08:40 AM
Try uninstalling the 2.1 Style Admin Area mod and see if that fixes it.

Thank you for your input. I already did that, assuming it was that, nopes, still no good.

Advertisement: