News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Couple of rather annoying bugs

Started by Beowulf1976, May 21, 2017, 02:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf1976

I allowed one of the techy people at the new server to log in to replicate the issue, they THOUGHT they had found the issue as one of their Mod_Sec rules was being triggered... but they whitelisted it and it had no effect:

11:21:34 PM Jessica R This appears to be an error with the program itself. Generally, with mod security rules, you would run into a 403 or a 404 error. This is the exact mod security rule that came up for
friendsofinigo.com/forum:
  • Rule ID: 900408
  • Times Hit: 11
  • URLS Affected: /forum/index.php
  • Description: register POST logging

11:21:54 PM Jessica R I white listed that here: eigsh@wizard2 > whitelist friendsofinigo.com add gator4033 900408
  • Whitelisting rule 900408 for friendsofinigo.com
  • Testing apache configuration...
  • Configuration good! Restarting Apache...DONE!

The issue is still not resolved. The CORE FEATURES cannot be applied, they just close when you click on the "ON" button, and the duplication error still exists.
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Illori

are you clicking on the power button or the heading of the feature?

Beowulf1976

The power button, trying to "switch it on"? Am I being dumb?
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Beowulf1976

The headings of the features are actually greyed out, not actionable

Illori

Quote from: Beowulf1976 on June 04, 2017, 07:37:43 PM
The power button, trying to "switch it on"? Am I being dumb?

so you click the power button one time and it sends you back to the admin page? i think you have something that has done a bad edit or similar to cause this issue. might help to start over with fresh files.

Arantor

Especially as clicking the button should do nothing beyond changing the image if you have JavaScript enabled, it doesn't do anything like reload the page.

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Illori on June 04, 2017, 08:58:19 PM
so you click the power button one time and it sends you back to the admin page? i think you have something that has done a bad edit or similar to cause this issue. might help to start over with fresh files.

Can you please remind me what starting with fresh files will do to my forum? Does it reset everything except for members and topics etc? So I'd have to reinstall my mods and my theme and images that I have installed ie.. post icons, anything graphic that I have implemented?

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Illori on June 05, 2017, 08:16:59 AM
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Thank you for your assistance AND patience. Once all the files have uploaded I shall update whether my issue is fixed or not. Thanks again :)

Beowulf1976

Installed fresh set of files and still I'm having the issue :(

Illori

have you tried in more then 1 browser?
can you try doing a clean install a different folder and see if you can duplicate the issue there?

Beowulf1976

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Illori on June 05, 2017, 10:16:55 AM
have you tried in more then 1 browser?
can you try doing a clean install a different folder and see if you can duplicate the issue there?

Multiple browsers and multiple devices (PC, Chromebook, Android Phone, Another PC) all produce the same error

I just did the fresh files install, what do you mean? Do you mean install a new "dummy" forum? Not sure my host will allow two separate SMF installations but I can try if that's what you mean?

PS. Also tried in incognito mode on chrome in case it was caused by an extension/addon etc

Dzonny

Your host should allow you to have multiple CMS systems, just create separated database. I would try with clean SMF install in test directory to see how it'll behave.

I'm guessing that some of the mods installed is causing this error, or badly uninstalled mod from earlier maybe.

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Dzonny on June 05, 2017, 10:36:12 AM
Your host should allow you to have multiple CMS systems, just create separated database. I would try with clean SMF install in test directory to see how it'll behave.

I'm guessing that some of the mods installed is causing this error, or badly uninstalled mod from earlier maybe.

Nope, it was still doing it on the fresh files where NO mods were installed at all. :(

Dzonny

Can you switch theme back to default and see if that happens again?

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Dzonny on June 05, 2017, 12:19:54 PM
Can you switch theme back to default and see if that happens again?

also does it on the default or the core themes

Arantor

If it was doing it on fresh files, that implies it's something elsewhere on the server, e.g. security software in a higher up folder, or your hosts security settings like mod_security.

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Arantor on June 05, 2017, 01:27:58 PM
If it was doing it on fresh files, that implies it's something elsewhere on the server, e.g. security software in a higher up folder, or your hosts security settings like mod_security.
My Host said that mod_security is NOT being triggered. If it's not being triggered then it's not being triggered.

This is like any problem one place blames the other constantly and one never gets to the solution.

Steve

I feel your frustration ... maybe you could ask if one of the coders (of which I'm not one) could take a look?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: