Couple of rather annoying bugs

Started by Beowulf1976, May 21, 2017, 02:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Well, it's definitely *something* weird because it's failing before it even gets to SMF.

Dzonny

Yeah, if this is happening on clean SMF install, this is most definitely the problem with host configuration or something not related to software itself.

Beowulf1976

I am confused as to why it has happened on two totally separate hosting companies AND you guys are adamant it's not SMF :(

Does anyone have spare time to come and look at my set up and hit me with a wall if it's something super obvious? I am willing to give all access IF it's someone official with SMF.
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Dzonny

Yes, if you're willing, you can send me the details and I'll take a look at it within two or three hours.

We're sure that it's not SMF related because there's hundreds of other forums running without any problems. :)

Beowulf1976

Permission to pm you then Dzonny
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Dzonny

I just installed quick clean SMF in /test/ directory on your server, and it all works fine. Therefore, it's a problem with customizations/mods on your current setup, and as you have quite few of those I can't really tell much by the look. I see a lot of errors in error log, including some related to mods (for example BBC related mods, most likely spoiler etc), but you'd have to go through those mods and see where the problem is.

Overall, your host is not a problem here, and SMF itself is not a problem, you just need to make sure that all mods are installed and working without problems.

Beowulf1976

OK, I get where you're coming from the bbc errors were when I TRIED to install BB Code Manager and it completely broke it all. Spoiler mod is working perfectly.

However, when the error started to happen, there were no mods installed? AT ALL

Dzonny

I just sent you a pm with a login info for test forum on your server. Please take a look at admin page there, and you'll notice that core features is working perfectly and that the same error is not appearing there.

So, this is mod problem, or at least theme related problem. I asked before if you tried to change theme to default, and if error still exist. You said that you did, although when I try to change default theme in admin panel - I got error that theme is not selectable (not sure if you had the same result).
Apart from all of that, by the quick look at your forum I also noticed that you have "session ended" kind of errors when logging and similar stuff, which all gives me impression that large upgrade would be a way to go, and start with a clean installation. Then install mods you need one by one, and you'll notice if same problem will happen after installing a specific mod.

Beowulf1976

Will a large install remove members and posts? If it will then I don't know what to do because I've put hours and hours of work into the posts and stuff so far, I would be severely gutted to have to start again. :(

I can cope with having to set it all up how I want it again if I HAVE to, but the posts and members are important to me, I can't risk losing all that.

Dzonny

Nope, members and posts will stay for sure. Please take a look at our documentation regards this:
Upgrading SMF

Do note that we highly suggest to firstly make backup of all files and database as well, just to be safe.
How do I backup my SMF forum?
How do I backup my database?

Illori

Dzonny

Beowulf1976

Dzonny, can you please log in again and see that I have upgraded, no mods are installed, I have reset the theme to default, and it STILL does not work. *sigh*

Beowulf1976

hmmm I am wondering whether there is something in the /Sources or /Themes folders that are causing the issue. I have noticed the very fast flash of a white page between navigating the forum, surely this should not be there?

Beowulf1976

I tested my theory about sources and/or themes being the issue, and did a fresh file install without keeping those folders this time. The bugs are no longer insitu, so it was either a dodgy mod install/uninstall and/or a theme issue.

All running as it should now.

Beowulf1976

FOUND it!

I reinstalled my mods one by one....

It's this mod that breaks it: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4132

Dzonny

Whoa, everything works fine now? :)
Glad that the problem is solved at the end.

Steve

Please, please post this, or a link to this thread, in that mod's support thread. Dougie is absolutely diligent about fixing any problems his mods cause.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=551235.0
DO NOT pm me for support!

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Steve on June 07, 2017, 07:07:11 PM
Please, please post this, or a link to this thread, in that mod's support thread. Dougie is absolutely diligent about fixing any problems his mods cause.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=551235.0

already did :) thank you though

Advertisement: