News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

help installing 2.0.14?

Started by brynn, May 22, 2017, 02:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
I used to have help installing things in my SMF forum, and they told me not to install anything that shows the red "Failed Test" errors.  And then they would install it for me.  But I don't have help anymore.

Several months ago, someone helped me to learn how to install mods which showed errors, and I actually was successful doing it a couple of times.  But I'm not sure if installing a forum upgrade would be the same as a mod.

So is it the same thing, where I click on the icon beside where it says "Replace" or whatever, then find that place in the proper file and replace what it says to replace, with what it says to replace with? 

I have around 40 mods, so it would be a real pain for me to install the upgrade manually, because in the admin panel, it says that would mean reinstalling all the mods.  Plus, at the moment, I have no idea what it means to install it manually  ::)

It's only showing 1 error in the main section.  And then 2 themes are showing errors.  One of them (which I already know has been removed from SMF because it's not being supported anymore - but I have a member who uses it (it really is nice and I wish someone would take and update it - Balanced)) shows 3, and the other theme shows 1 error.

Can I go ahead and fix those like if it was just a mod?  They all look like pretty simple fixes to me.  Or is it different for the forum upgrades?

Thanks for your help  :)

d3vcho

It's just the same as installing a Mod. I'll leave you an useful link; Manual Installation of Mods

Reply here if you need more help :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

brynn

Aah, ok.  I have a backup running now, and as soon as it's finished, I'll start the fixing.

Yes, I have that link.  I don't really understand the info in it, but I'll ask for clarity if I ever need it.  For now, this is the one that I'll use for fixing the errors:  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

I'll let you know what happens with the fixing.  Keeping this thread unsolved until I'm sure it's finished successfully.

Thanks again  :)

brynn

Ok, I have a question.  I'll just have to use the exact code, rather than try to explain it and make everyone confused. 

The file is SSI.php

The instructions are to find this

global $smcFunc, $ssi_db_user, $scripturl, $ssi_db_passwd, $db_passwd, $cachedir;

// Remember the current configuration so it can be set back.

What I actually found is this

global $smcFunc, $ssi_db_user, $scripturl, $ssi_db_passwd, $db_passwd, $cachedir, $ffcachedir;

And then I'm supposed to replace it with is this

global $smcFunc, $ssi_db_user, $scripturl, $ssi_db_passwd, $db_passwd, $cachedir;
global $image_proxy_enabled, $image_proxy_secret, $image_proxy_maxsize;

My best guess is the extra part ($ffcachedir) is part of the Forum Firewall mod.  That seems like something that I should keep, right? 

So the correct thing to do, is add that extra line, which is

global $image_proxy_enabled, $image_proxy_secret, $image_proxy_maxsize;

On the next line below $ffcachedir; and above the blank line, so that I keep the $ffcachedir.

Is that right?  Or will I still get an error because it's not expecting $ffcachedir (apparently) ?

Thanks for the hand holding!  (If it was just a mod, I would go for it, but I'm nervous about being the whole forum upgrade.)
(Yes, I backed up everything yesterday.)

Illori

just add that line on the next empty line.

brynn

Thanks Illori   :)

Couple interesting things.  There are a couple of red "Failed Test" items, which are followed by "(Ignore Errors)".  So I assume I can ignore those.

More important question.  There are some files where it indicates a successful test, but yet, it's also providing Replace instructions.  What's the advice on those?  Are they purely optional, or should they be fixed?

Illori

you should only be applying the patch manually if it fails just to that one part that fails not the whole patch.

brynn

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I thought that's what I'm doing.  I'm following these instructions (I asked earlier above, and that was the suggestion).

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

I don't even know how to edit the whole patch.

Illori

all you need to do is apply the edit that failed manually, everything else the package manager will apply on its own. that is what those instructions say.

brynn

Isn't that what I'm doing?

I made a screenshot to show where it says the test is successful, but it also gives some codes to replace.  (And also showing ignore errors too)

Are you saying to ignore the ones that have a successful test, even though they give codes to replace?  That's what I'm asking.

Illori

you can ignore anything that says ignore, you just need to do the edit when it says FAILED. you still need to apply the patch when you are done doing the edits manually.

brynn

I understand.  Thanks!

Is there a simple explanation why some of the Test Successful items offer codes to replace?  I'm just curious.

Illori

it is telling you the action is a replace and it is showing you what the package manager will be doing.

brynn

Oh ok.  Thanks  :)

I seem to be stuck on one of those in the screenshot.  That Balanced theme was taken down from the SMF Theme Site a couple of years ago, and I've known that eventually it won't be fixable.  At least not by me.  So this might be that time.  But could I run this by you, for your opinion?

It wants me to find this

<input type="hidden" name="hash_passwrd" value="" />

But the most of it I can find it this

<input type="hidden" name=

which shows up twice, a few lines apart.  The rest of it ("hash_passwrd" value="" />) isn't found anywhere.   (It seems to be about searching.)

And this is the part to replace it with

<input type="hidden" name="hash_passwrd" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

I'm thinking I could just paste in this

<input type="hidden" name="', $context['session_var'], '" value="', $context['session_id'], '" />

But I'm not sure if I should paste it in twice, behind both of the instances of the part I can find.  Or if just one?

Or, is this the end of using this theme?  Ooh, actually it would be the end of 2 themes  :(  Another theme shows the exact same code for editing.

Thanks for your patience  :)

brynn

Actually the 2nd theme which is affected is still available on the Theme site.  So maybe it's not a "fatal" type of error after all?

Illori

almost all themes on the theme site has this issue. we are not removing themes that have this issue.

brynn

Well I have no idea why Balanced theme was removed.

But I guess I can infer from your answer, that I can fix them for this upgrade.

brynn

Ok, I think everything went ok.  The only problem is that now when I look at the Package Manager, it's showing the update twice.  I don't know how that could have happened.

Should I do something to fix that?  What?

Thanks again for your help and patience  :)

brynn

Any tips for dealing with 2 updates showing in the package manager?

Thanks

Advertisement: