News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Daily Digest Detail

Started by tgreening, May 23, 2017, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgreening

I just moved my forum from Xenforo to SMF and love it so far.  One of the things my users are looking for is the daily digest to include the details, like the post contents, of the messages that were posted in the last day.  Is there a mod or feature that would do this for me?

If not, any suggestions on how to do it?  I have modest development skills in php.

thanks!

Illori

if the users are subscribed to each board and they set their option to receive a daily email, this may work but otherwise there is no way to do what you want by default.

tgreening

Thanks for the answer.  The daily digest just sends a count of the new posts not the detail of the posts.  I'd like to send the details in the email.

Kindred

That rather defeats the purpose of a forum....    there is no automated way to send that email in the core product (and I don't think anyone has made a mod for it, either)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dav999

I haven't used digests myself, but I do see an option "When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email"

jpgreen3

I support the function, an ability to send out a digest of all forum posts, including the full text of new posts and replies.  It would preferably have a clickable index at the top of the page to take the reader down in the email to the post of interest. 

We have a community email group, (on hxxp:groups.io [nonactive]) which works very well.  People check email, but don't routinely go out to websites.  A single digest email, sent to the email group at a configurable interval, would make it easy for email group subscribers to keep up with activity on the forum, and motivate them to go to the forum to post when they have something to add to that conversation. 

In the body of the digest email, at the heading of every post, a clickable link to open the forum at that post would also help facilitate forum participation. 

Kindred

Again, defeats the purpose of a forum....  and while this may suit your specific context, there's a reason that Yahoo groups shut down.....

Also,  given that no one has asked further in 3 years,  it doe suggest that the function is not widely desired
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: