News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

RSS Feeds on Simple Portal Block Don't Work with PHP 7.0, 7.1

Started by Michael Vail, May 23, 2017, 07:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Vail

Hello,

I'm posting this just to help people who may be in the same boat I am. I'm sure the devs here have better things to deal with so this is more of a heads up to them and anyone else in my shoes.

I recently migrated over to Siteground webhosting. I moved my SMF 2.0.13 SMF forum over to Siteground and initially it didn't work. I received a bunch of PHP errors when trying to access the site. I soon learned that Siteground's default PHP version is 7.0, which doesn't work for SMF 2.0 versions prior to 2.0.14. Thank goodness Siteground allows you to change the PHP version on-the-fly with via their control panel. I switched the version to 5.6.30 and the site worked perfectly again.

Last week I updated from SMF 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 last week. The upgrade went smoothly and my forum was running fine after the upgrade, still under PHP version 5.6.30. I switched to PHP 7.0.19 and later to 7.1.5 and the site continued to load fine, or at least it appeared to. 

This morning I noticed the the two RSS Feeds in one of the Simple Portal blocks had stopped working and were reporting the following instead of showing the feeds: "Invalid Feed". After some research, I learned that going back to PHP 5.6.30 fixed the feed block.

I'm not sure if this is a SMF problem or a Simple Portal problem, but wanted to let people know in case they run across it.

Take care and a huge thanks for all the great work you guys do for my favorite forum software. This is my 12th year of running SMF and I can't imagine not having it.

Thanks again,
Mike Vail
Windsor California, USA

Kindred

Simple portal needs some updates to run correctly with smf 2.0.14 and with pho7+
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Michael Vail

Thank you sir, I'll post this over there on their forums so people know.

Have a great week,
Mike

Advertisement: