when index.php executes, it targets to the settings.php.

Started by Baron1956, May 24, 2017, 02:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron1956

I have not been able to access my forum for over a week since I was told the host moved me to a different server.
I'm getting a white screen atm and the response from the host was as follows

QuoteThank you for your email.

I have checked the settings.php script (/home/austrafc/public_html/Settings.php)  and see that the declaration of the directory is pointed to public_html/Sources. When the index.php under this folder executes, it targets to the settings.php.

I have tried to modify the settings.php declared directory pointed to public_html but it generates new error message which is pointing to /QueryString.php. I would suggest to review the script setup as I have check this with our system admins and there is no issue on the server side.
Could anyone give me some advice on what to do next please. The forum is 2.0.14

Illori

first off try What is repair_settings.php? if that does not fix it report back with any further error messages.

Kindred

Basically

1- your host moved you to a different server which might have a different path setup...   so, you need to reconfigure the settings (both in Settings.php and in the database) to point to the correct path locations.

2- It sounds like your host may also have "automatically" deleted the QueryString.php file - we have seen this with some hosts who think that they are "protecting" their users, but are really just running a badly configured security protocol that deletes good files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Baron1956

Thank you, Illori and Kindred, I used the What is repair_settings.php? tool and it didn't seem to show any errors and the site is still down. How do you suggest I proceed?

Dzonny

Are you sure that you have the right paths/urls and database setting in fields when you used repair_settings.php tool?
Please double-check if everything in there is correct firstly.
If you're getting a specific error message, please write it so we can see it here.
Also, can you check if you have file /Sources/QueryString.php on your server?

Baron1956

Thank you Dzonny, I do have a /Sources/QueryString.php on my server.
I'm going to ask a tech friend to check if the paths/urls and database settings in fields are correct, I'm not sure where to check these myself.

Baron1956

I have checked the paths to the URL's and they are correct but I am not sure how to check the paths to the directories. ie /home/my username/public_html/Sources. But it is the same path that my host has when I view their interface.

Dzonny

Okay, please make sure that QueryString is not empty as well, as that may happen on some hosts as well.

You may want to ask your host support to check those paths for you, as we can't tell you exact paths for your server.
Apart from that, what exact error you're getting when trying to load your page? Can you maybe post a link to your forum here?

Baron1956

Thank you, I will send them a picture of the paths that are displaying on the repair_settings.php page?
The site is www.australianpigeonforum.com.au [nofollow]
I am just getting a blank white screen. I believe its displaying the settings.php page because if i write a note at the bottom of the settings.php script it displays on the site. I had used it to tell members that the site is offline.
I read on another post that I should change passwords so I changed the mysql database password and got an error message saying that the server was busy or couldn't not connect. I then changed it in the repair_settings page and when i saved it the site went back to a white screen. Sorry if I'm not describing it properly I've only got a basic knowledge.

Baron1956

This is the email I received back from the host yesterday,

Thank you for your email.

I have checked the settings.php script (/home/austrafc/public_html/Settings.php)  and see that the declaration of the directory is pointed to public_html/Sources. When the index.php under this folder executes, it targets to the settings.php.

I have tried to modify the settings.php declared directory pointed to public_html but it generates new error message which is pointing to /QueryString.php. I would suggest to review the script setup as I have check this with our system admins and there is no issue on the server side.

Please find directory declaration as below.

########## Directories/Files ##########
# Note: These directories do not have to be changed unless you move things.

$boarddir = '/home/austrafc/public_html';  # The absolute path to the forum's folder. (not just '.'!)
//$sourcedir = '/home/austrafc/public_html/Sources';  # Path to the Sources directory.
$sourcedir = '/home/austrafc/public_html';  # Path to the Sources directory.
$cachedir = '/home/austrafc/public_html/cache';  # Path to the cache directory.

Regards,

Arantor

Your host is borderline incompetent.

Yes, Sources/index.php redirects you. It is supposed to because users aren't supposed to visit Sources in the first place. It's just where SMF stores all its logic.

Ask your host for the actual error log.

Kindred

And you absolutely must put the sources directory back to the original setting

The setting that he changed it to is never going to work and your system is broken because of that change
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dzonny

Quote from: Kindred on May 25, 2017, 12:47:19 PM
The setting that he changed it to is never going to work and your system is broken because of that change
Lol, how genius, if index.php in Sources is redirecting to Settings.php - change Sources dir to root :P

Baron1956

I appreciate everyone's advice here but I think I'm a little bit out of my depth here in changing settings etc. Would it be appropriate for me to put a help request on the Help Wanted board?

Steve

Quote from: Baron1956 on May 25, 2017, 09:26:58 PMWould it be appropriate for me to put a help request on the Help Wanted board?

Absolutely! :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Gary

Just to inform folks on what the solution was since I managed to resolve it. It turned out to be improper CHMOD permission settings. Many files, including index.php of the SMF root folder were set to 600 rather than something that the 'world' would read of 644 or 755.

It was something that I didn't even notice at first, running the upgrader (which also needed doing anyway) was what got me to notice it when it asked for FTP information, so it could create Settings_bak.php which was missing.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Advertisement: