SMF Support > SMF 2.0.x Support

help needed downloading the attachment folder

(1/3) > >>

ron993:
we have an offroad club running on version 2.0 RC3.  Unfortunately our membership has dwindled down to basically nothing.  I was hoping to download the attachment folder which is all pictures from the last 11 years of offroad trips.  I am hoping to use the old pictures to get people to come back to the club. If people do not come back we will shut down the website and will want a copy of all the pictures anyway.

Is there an easy way to download the attachment folder?  I tried using FTP, downloaded filezilla and downloaded the folder but the files just show as file with no extension.

Thanks in advance

Ronnie

Arantor:
Not really, no, the files are stored in the attachment system that way so people can't just link to the files directly if they aren't otherwise able to view the pictures.

shawnb61:
Were the files encrypted? 

I don't think the files are encrypted or anything.  Just renamed & the extensions were removed.  I think the renaming pattern in 2.0 changed a bit over the years, e.g., JoesPic.jpg, depending on when it was uploaded, may be renamed:
  Joespic   (name + no extension)
  Joespicjpg4849793284329048732094032984    (name + hash + no extension)
  4849793284329048732094032984    (hash + no extension)

So...  What you want to do is largely dependent on volume & level of tech savvy. 

If the volume is small, I'd attempt just downloading them & renaming them to see what works.

If the volume is mid-high, I'd do an Excel export of the SMF attachments folder for guidance.   It will tell you the target extension for each attachment.   Given the different (re)naming standards I've seen,  this may take a bit of guesswork... 

If the volume is very high, and level of tech savvy is high, you may even be able to use the SMF attachments table information to build a batch script to do renames to reconstruct the original attachments.

I have not tried this.  I would start with a few files & experiment for a day or two.

Kindred:
Also, be aware that filezilla will screw up files that have no extension unless you fix the program to use BIN transfer type instead of ASCII

Illori:

--- Quote from: shawnb61 on May 24, 2017, 05:42:29 PM ---
If the volume is mid-high, I'd do an Excel export of the SMF attachments folder for guidance.   It will tell you the target extension for each attachment.   Given the different (re)naming standards I've seen,  this may take a bit of guesswork... 

--- End quote ---

you mean attachments table right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version