News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrading from v1.1.10

Started by CyberShadow, May 24, 2017, 10:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CyberShadow

Hi. I have inherited a forum running version 1.1.10..... which has obviously now stopped working with the PHP update. So, time to upgrade.

I know that the database format was changed with v2 (I think). What are the necessary steps to upgrade to the latest version? I assume that I cant just patch the latest version over, and a previous version will be required to reformat the data correctly?

Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

You may be able to upgrade directly from 1.1.10 to 2.0.13, but I'd suggest upgrading to 1.1.21, make sure everything's working, then upgrade to 2.0.13.  Back up your forum files and database before you begin.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

CyberShadow

Many thanks. I had trouble making and restoring a backup in the past, which is why I didnt upgrade earlier.
I dont mind how long it takes, and would rather it ran smoothly and went well! I will give this a go.

CyberShadow

Followup question..... Will v1.1.21 work with the latest version of php?

I can see a time when an old board is not recoverable because even the upgrade version required to reformat the data wont function with the latest version of php.

Sir Osis of Liver

1.1.21 and 2.0.13 will not work in php 7.0 or higher.  You can upgrade to 2.0.14, which supports php 7, but it has a few bugs that are being worked on.

- R. Waters

CyberShadow

Many thanks. Will v1.1.21 work with php v5.5?

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

CyberShadow

Yes, but as I said, I recently inherited this forum.

Since it has now stopped working due to the PHP incompatibility, I assume that v1.1.21 also wont work and my database is currently in the v1 format.

So, is my only option now to upgrade directly to the latest version and hope that this will also successfully reformat the database to v2 standard?

Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can try upgrading directly to 2.0, just make sure you have a good database backup.  If the upgrade fails, I believe you should be able to upgrade the 1.1.10 db to 1.1.21, even if the forum doesn't work quite right, then upgrade to 2.0.  Your host may give you options to select php version, some do, some don't. 

- R. Waters

CyberShadow

Yeah, getting and restoring a decent backup was the thing stopping me upgrading in the first place.

Many thanks for your assistance, I will give it all a shot.

Advertisement: