The forum software won't update because it 'says' it can't find the versionno.

Started by richardwbb, May 25, 2017, 08:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

I have a strange problem. Now I've noticed there are things in SMF 2.0.14 that would help me to make the step to 2.1 more easy, and since I've read somewhere that patching a forum is easy, this is with my forum, not the case. This is so for a good while now, and how I was able to get the forum in this situation I can't remember. However, something has become clear to me.

A patch from 2.0.11 to 2.0.12 has something to update with 'Sources/Load.php'. Here is the code it looks for and want's to replace;

It is a 'simple' version upgrade, so, it couldn't be coming from a modified/ custom 'Sources/Load.php'.

'Sources/Load.php' contains;
/**
* Simple Machines Forum (SMF)
* @package SMF
* @author Simple Machines http://www.simplemachines.org
* @copyright 2011 Simple Machines
* @license http://www.simplemachines.org/about/smf/license.php BSD
* @version 2.0.12
*/

The forum says with 'index.php', all the way down;

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines

What steps could I take from here to solve this, my point is, to make a choice to loose all modifications [what will be a problem too going to 2.1 and I just don't want to do things twice any longer] Also, could anyone tell me what parts of the smf forum 'directory', can not be touched by 'modifications'. I am tempted to replace those files to 2.0.12. Please help.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Illori

richardwbb

Hey Illori, I know how to do that, but thank you for this link. Because I will read it now, I have done a lot without smf manuals and indeed, most I 'find' [manuals that is] is by posting/ reading posts on this forum. But I hope there is a way to 'tell' smf everything actually is 2.0.12 version despite it is reporting 2.0.11. I expect the 'patch install' to be more succesful. Every change is failing now. I just don't want to do the mods again, and then do that again with a 2.1 forum. And for a 2.1 forum I just feel the need to have 'everything' my users 'need', before make this step, to give them the best possible experience. I've looked in to vBulletin and phpBB, and well, after reading and comparing [I do read sometimes, haha], I'm sure smf suits me best. It isn't for me just working with it, I want to be it's Site Admin and get in track with the decision making the smf developers make, and follow that, and forget every other possible way, I'm really in the woods now [database was quircky and the template wasn't very proper and there was no 'smf policy']  and want to put that behind me. I hope you can understand from me, that a 'reinstall' is a last resort for me.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

vbgamer45

If it fails just on the version number in the text file that is safe to ignore and you can continue installing the patch.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

richardwbb

Though I can follow what you both wrote to me, I am still not able to figure out what must have happened. From what I see from 'smf reporting', it is saying, those files are all 2.0.12, and, therefore, everything fails, since I think that it is so, that an update meant for another version of smf, will always show 'failed', with every 'look up' and 'replace', am I correct.

If that is so, then I should set the database to 2.0.12 if I am not mistaken. I have included a link to a [long], 'screenshot', there are plugins for browsers that are able to do this, since it won't fit on a laptop screen, to use 'print screen'. That is Firefox 'screengrab', might someone be interested. However, to keep this post readable, here is what is succesful;

http://www.fotobakje.nl/map/div/smf/update-2.0-2.0.12.png

Could you please explain to me, how exactly to make smf 'think' everything is 2.0.12, then I'll take my chances [which is no big deal, since I will do this on my localhost, not on the live forum], so I can safely say that anything that 'happens' from there [I mean I believe it still could 'bork' somehow]. But then I am able to see the results, maybe find another plan or learn that it is a good choice to give up on this live forum [it is customized], and start 'all over' again. Because then I can blame something else, haha, and I'm pretty sure that is me. But please take my words seriously, I'm not in a position to give up on this, I'll rather make it bork and start over, then; start over, because I know that will work, and again, it is on a testing environment, and this effort will allways be meaningful to me. Thank you.

And now the whole list, you might want to click on the picture that is shown, so that your browser shows this image in full size.

http://www.fotobakje.nl/map/div/smf/update-2.0.11-2.0.12-not-working-forum-says-2.0.11-2.0.12.png

Illori

Quote from: Illori on May 25, 2017, 08:19:31 AM
there are no set files that mods cannot touch. if you want to start over with fresh files follow https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
if the versions are not correct, it is possible that the patches have not been applied correctly. i would start over with fresh files.

Arantor

Or there's version emulation in the mix causing it to look for things that are already present.

Kindred

or maybe he deleted the SMF version from the index.php file in an attempt to be "more secure"

(hint, it is not any more secure)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Eh, that doesn't seem likely as the site footer says SMF 2.0.11.

Best bet is still version emulation.

QuoteNow I've noticed there are things in SMF 2.0.14 that would help me to make the step to 2.1 more easy

Nope. There's literally no difference between 2.0.13 and 2.0.14 as far as the upgrade is concerned. You'd still replace out everything on the forum outright in the upgrade, there's no package manager upgrade and all the HTTPS stuff was simply ported from 2.1 anyway.

richardwbb

Well, I can test anything, I am able with an sql file to make the database see 2.0.12 while I know it should be updated [the database], I'm just in between, and did start over a couple of times and for the work that I had with that, not very willing to do this pre smf 2.1, but my forum with mods getting to smf 2.1 [not all mods, smf 2.1 RC3 has now a recaptcha for example].

And I have no clue where the first 2.1 will be released, and how many modifications would be able to go over [my problem, I know but I've seen some being 2.1 complying] and then just wait like I learned with Windows, just wait for SP1 and then start using it, still 7 here, inside VirtualBox.

What is my best bet, I can test anything from a manual database update, to fooling the whole thing, and even half of an answer would be helpful, if I can get things started and post back, I just don't know where to start and the last resort, start over, I just don't see yet, I see more ways to fix this, but how.

richardwbb

I wasn't able to fix this on my own. So.. ehm, I received some help. The key to the solution [with risk nearing 100% and chances of success, quite low, or still high, I'm not really in to statistics on 'smf-php-htaccess-apache-sql-javascript-jquery-etc', but the 'variable; forum version', made the installer see 95% success in stead of close to zero.

And that was 'Sources'. Also, here are the proofs of that, haha.

And, for the update, this all was in the localhost testing environment, but; I have different themes. And 'default' is working [it always does, really, don't touch that, unless you know a good reason], and for my 'own' template, it is accepting it as success, well, that template is one big mess with three persons the least worked with it [without the backend]. Just start with rule 1 and verify the html. Also, Site Admins should be interested in css [I'm running a default on index.template.php with the css only]. Then html, but there is php. And I'm not saying you shouldn't start with php first or something. From php you might want to try to become a progammer [Visual C, C#, etc [however, after pdo-myslq for my addresses and telephone numbers and a photo-screensaver, really not a good start with C nor php, am looking for something I can personally use, and isn't to be found on the internet, well, that is hardly possible, haha [a 100 liner I say.]. Oh, for the default, copy that one to your own directory and to make smf see it properly, well I didn't read the manual and my theme_info.xml isn't really what it was designed for, but zipping the template and uploading it with different name, should work], and then you can use only css and index.template.php, it doesn't get easier with smf, modifications and a completly customized look forum. And yes, smf 2.1 has bèta 3, I've installed it yesterday. And yes, since it has modern icons on top, I'm now into getting my look and feel inside there, with; all the modifications I find are necessary [and a couple of them you won't need, because I read there is ReCaptcha for example.] Oh, converting just the look and feel from 2.0.14 to 2.1 released, is kinda, hard, still learning, too.

And for Reseller, Exodus, and FlatLine, [themes], it are good starting points, but, keep in mind the full smf package -might- hold update 'theme-thingy's], and I explained my formula here, because I am grafteful. And; "Your Mileage Might Vary"

However, I mark this topic solved, I learned that making it unsolved is just as easy. Thanks.

http://www.fotobakje.nl/map/div/smf/update-2.0.13-2.0.14-working.png

richardwbb

I had to re-read what was written here before the relation-between-what-written, 'computed' with me. Well, I'm getting to the point here [literally with my live forum], I feel that the version emulaton, while I have used it, isn't the problem, however I did 'try' it and some mod's need it. [many modifications run on well on 2.0.11 and higher]. For the variable, I say I didn't change it. I've learned my lessons with editing 'core smf files' directly.

I feel this isn't going to be important, but, for the version mix, I've had seen the ?? here;

QuoteVersie-informatie:
Forumversie: SMF 2.0.??
Huidige SMF-versie: SMF 2.0.14
(meer details)

This is now working as it should. What exactly was that I don't know, but I stumbled on;

SMF-bestand Jouw versie Huidige versie
SMF-pakket SMF 2.0.11 SMF 2.0.14
Sources 2.0.12 2.0.14
Standaardtemplates 2.0 2.0.14
Taalbestanden 2.0.12 2.0.14
Huidige templates 2.0 2.0

And I won't post 'the longer list' of versioning, I didn't even check. The local setup took the patch for 95%, so that was something I'll do soon with the live forum [with a db backup, htaccess to my ip only, and a 'directory copy with the isp tool'. Also I download a 'tar.gz', because accidentely deleting the wrong directory on the isp server isn't hard.

To make a long story short again, I've put the Vimeo plugin up and running, that's why it took me so long to respond, and still learning ins and outs on how to customize my index.template.php with a running smf 2.1 bèta 3. After installing this, I'll attempt a re-install, -with- the 2.0 database. Very nice things in 2.1, really.

Only I wonder now, [sorry, did search and asked for, and used a search engine].

Is there a 'patch.sql' maybe, to make my 2.0.4 database, go to 2.0.14 in one or more steps, I couldn't find it in the patch, and maybe not all the patched have such a thing.

Illori

Advertisement: