News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

404 attachments not found

Started by Rickard, May 26, 2017, 02:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickard

Hi.

Today i notices in google search console that there was a large increase of not found files in my forum www.varmepumpsforum.com , after a bit of research i find that the "missing files" (Links below the visual image)  have the extension .jpg and the attached files (that show in the forum) have got the extension .JPG

It seems that sometime in year 2009 the attachments started getting .JPG file ending, all "new" attachments links works, and none of the old ones (.jpg)

I dont know if there is a change made in SMT sourcecode, or if google are indexing more files now then they have done earlier, but i think there has been a change in how SMF links to the attachments.

I have Resize Attached Images 2.4.1 installed since many years, the changed file endings might have come when i installed this mod, but this doesnt explain why googles "not found" images rised from about 400 to more then 2800 pieces in the end of march this year.

Any ideas?
Admin for 3 forums:
www.varmepumpsforum.com
www.poolforum.se
www.atvforum.se
SMF 2.0.15
Default Theme: CS Manual by crip
Simple Portal 2.3.7
Got my own hosted and managed server on www.space2u.com

Kindred

attachment file extensions were indeed removed (as a security protection) - which means that any old links to .jpg files would be broken. yes.

this is not a new thing... as you noted, this is almost a decade old at this point...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rickard

Yes, but why is google finding the broken links all of a sudden?
I guess it affects my pagerank to have 2800 broken links in the forum...
Admin for 3 forums:
www.varmepumpsforum.com
www.poolforum.se
www.atvforum.se
SMF 2.0.15
Default Theme: CS Manual by crip
Simple Portal 2.3.7
Got my own hosted and managed server on www.space2u.com

Advertisement: