News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Tried to update to 2.0.14 and now forum is dead :/

Started by MadMick, May 26, 2017, 11:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMick

I knew I shouldn't have done it, but so many others are saying they did it no worries. My forum was running so well too.

I went back and manually replaces all the edited files with the files marked with~ and it still just tosses up a white page and nothing else. I am at a loss here, can someone please help me out its way over my head sorry.

I'll give you access to FTP and cPanel if that helps, I really don't want to have to start all over again with a 4th clean install in two weeks :/

Thanks and cheers,

Mick
Regards,

Mick.

AHN Moderators - Can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you"

MadMick

All is not lost, I went through the list once more and found one file I had over looked, changed it and now the forum is back, albeit in version 2.0.13.

Is anyone willing to have a guess, or educated opinion on why 14 wont install and causes such grief?. I have asked my hosts to make sure php, apache and similar stuff is all up to date and they say it is, but something must be wrong somewhere?

Thanks and cheers,

Mick
Regards,

Mick.

Sir Osis of Liver

2.0.14 has some bugs, which are affecting forums in various ways, depending on host configuration.  If your forum is crashed, most likely cause is your host is running php 5.3, which was supported through 2.0.13, but not .14.  You may be able to upgrade to php 5.4 or higher in your host control panel, or ask your host to do so.  Simplest solution is to stay with 2.0.13 until .15 is released, which should fix most of the bugs.  Nothing wrong with .13, and nothing in .14 you can't live without until .15 is released.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Colin

I advise you to upgrade to 2.0.14. The simplest solution really is to ask your host to upgrade to PHP 5.4. I can give more specific advice if you can advise some of the symptoms.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MadMick

Just about the head out the door for the night, but will be back with comments and questions tomorrow :).

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.
Regards,

Mick.

Kindred

Also, it should be noted...  restoring ALL files with the tilde (~) is going to cause issues...
Every mod created a backup file, and the patch did not edit every one of those files... so, if you restored all of them, then your system is in a weird state with some mods partially installed.

Always, always, always, take a full backup of files and database before doing any edits
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MadMick

Quote from: Kindred on May 27, 2017, 08:11:14 AM
Also, it should be noted...  restoring ALL files with the tilde (~) is going to cause issues...
Every mod created a backup file, and the patch did not edit every one of those files... so, if you restored all of them, then your system is in a weird state with some mods partially installed.

Always, always, always, take a full backup of files and database before doing any edits

No no, not all files, only the ones that the 2.0.14 changed. I was lucky I still had the install page open in another tab and so could see which files it had changed, they were the only ones I changed back and its working like a charm. I may come across as silly, but give me some credit ;)
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

I just checked my server and yes, of course its running php5.3, will get onto the hosts to upgrade it for me, its not something they let me play with and probably rightly so  :)
Regards,

Mick.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you look in /Packages/backups/ you should see a backup package manager created when you installed the patch.  Download, unzip, upload and it will restore your forum to previous state.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MadMick

Yes I knew that was there, but the upgrade to 2.0.14 was no in the list, hence why I did it manually.

Thanks anyway  :)
Regards,

Mick.

Advertisement: