News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Update Fail - What Next?

Started by WantSome, May 28, 2017, 04:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WantSome

Hi All,

Running 2.0.12 (I THINK!)

Yesterday I went to update my forum - I was running 2.0.11 and have been very busy of late so only just noticed that there were updates to 2.0.14.

Like a real idiot, of course I didn't back up before applying the patches.  I just went through them all 2.0.12 - all was fine.  So I installed 2.0.13 and all was fine.  Then I did 2.0.14 which is when the whole forum died and I got an error message that there was some incorrect coding in line 133 of Load.php. 

I couldn't figure out what was wrong with this part of the document, so in a panic I just went to the packages area where the forum (thank all that is holy) makes an automatic backup whenever a new package is installed.  I found the 2.0.13 one, unzipped it and uploaded all those docs to the forum - that is, I did the sources files only!  This did not work and I still got the same error - which is weird since installing 2.0.13 worked fine the first time.

So I went back and did the same for the backup it made when I installed 2.0.12 and now it works again, much to my relief. (But again, I rolled back the sources files only.)

However, I notice the footer in the forum still says 2.0.14. 

So my question is - have I messed things up permanently?  Because my fear is when I come to updating it (and figuring out what went wrong with 2.0.14) I'll have even more issues.

Will I be able to skip from 2.0.12 all the way to, say, 2.0.15 without installing the things in between?  Since the forum footer now says 2.0.14 are some of the files still 'wrong' and will they be able to update?  Should I roll back all the files (not just sources) in the backup to fix it all?

Not sure what to do next or if I am in great trouble.  Any advice or insight welcome.

Thanks!
WS

Kindred

your issue with 2.0.14 is because your host is running a seriously insecure and outdated version of php (5.3)
Have them upgrade to php5.4 (at least - 5.6, or 7.x are much better choices) and 2.0.14 should run just fine.

As for what you can do  in the future...   you will probably have to do a "upgrade" instead of a patch next time - and then reinstall all of your mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

WantSome

Thanks Kindred. 

My host is running php 5.6.30, would that normally be okay with 2.0.14?

Illori

yes. but if you got that error message your host does not run php 5.6.

WantSome

Thanks Ilori - is it possible that the php panel is lying to me coz it's telling me 5.6.30?

Illori

you can do a phpinfo file to tell for sure otherwise they could be lying.

Shambles

Quote from: WantSome
... is it possible that the php panel is lying to me coz it's telling me 5.6.30?

Let your SMF forum tell you what it's swimming in...

Admin > Main > Support & Credits > Support Information

Illori

they cant do that if they cant get the forum to load.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

WantSome

Hi all,

Just to be clear the forum is working because I rolled back the sources files to the 2.0.12 version (but some files may be at 2.0.13 or 2.0.14 I don't know).  When I go to admin>main>support & credits it tells me it's on version 2.0.14.  So I don't know what's real anymore.

I did a phpinfo thing and it does say 5.3 so that seems dodgy because the php admin panel thing says 5.6 - I've contacted my host and hope they'll think about updating.  Once/if that happens, I'll try the updates again (and my ask for more advice if I run into issues).

Thanks all for your help so far.

Steve

I'm thinking at some point you may want to upload a fresh set of files if your host puts your PHP at 5.4 or higher.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: