SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Dear Users,

Simple Machines is proud to announce the release of the 3rd Beta of SMF 2.1. This version contains many improvements over Beta 2 and also fixes many bugs that were discovered following its release.

Among the notable improvements:

• Added reCAPTCHA as core feature to keep spammers away.
  • Upgrade.php code clean-up. Now the upgrade process should be more consistent.
  • RSS general improvements.
  • Added support for jQuery 3.x.
  • Modified Curve2 to improve the responsiveness of the design.
  • General bug fixes, code improvements, and clean-up.
  • Default codification will now be UTF-8.

For full details of what has changed, please see our GitHub repo.

The general installation/upgrade procedure of this Beta release remains the same, however, once you upgrade from an older version to 2.1 you cannot go back, so please take careful consideration before upgrading any live site. Have a look at Installing and Upgrading SMF in the Online Manual to find out more. You cannot upgrade to 2.1 Beta 3 via the package manager; instead you will need to carry out the Large Upgrade process. SMF 2.1 can be obtained from the download section.

Please note that because this is a beta release, translations and language strings other than English have not been finalized and may not yet be complete.

Finally, as always, this topic is not for support. Discussion and support for 2.1 can be found in the 2.1 support board.

Finally, thanks to all of the team and development contributors who have brought us one step closer to a release candidate. On behalf of the project, we appreciate the time, energy and contributions you have made.

Thank you for using SMF

Kind regards,
Simple Machines Forum Team
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Looking

Good to see 2.1 moving forward. I await when it becomes a stable and recommended for live sites.

LiroyvH

Very nice work, thank you so much to everybody contributing and making this release possible! :)
Congrats team!
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

青山 素子

Been a long time coming, glad to see the progress.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Gwenwyfar

Nice! :)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Linkjay

I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

spiros

Well done, team, SMF rocks! I hope the next beta/RC release will not take a further 2 years :)

Shkic

Using 2.1 in live site for 2 years and evertything works just fine.

d3vcho

"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

scott3535

WOOHOO!!!

I have to say that I'm looking forward to 2.1 more than any other software upgrade in recent years.

Party on, dudes.
8)

Alpay

Dzonny

Deaks

This rate next release be 2019 ...
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Shambles

Good to see an improved proxy.php in there ;)

Colin

Quote from: Shambles on June 01, 2017, 10:45:13 AM
Good to see an improved proxy.php in there ;)

Will be properly fixed too in the next release.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

kat★

The downloadable Large upgrade zip file seems to lack upgrade-helper.php, however, after manually putting it in the right place, things went smoothly. Mad props to the dev team!
+1 internets to you 8)
I use smf to learn to write php and css. It's pretty neat. |

SleePy

We've fixed that.  The upgrade packages now include that file.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

mrgtb

The full install ZIP package is missing the file: Settings_bak.php

mrgtb

I also spotted some issues this morning testing it you can read about posted here:

Link: hxxp:theadminzone.com/threads/smf-2-1-beta-3-released.144396/ [nonactive]

QuoteI tested it today and think I spotted two issues. One, they didn't appear to include the "Settings_bak.php" file in the package (it's missing) but needed. Also, when I enabled the Calender and tried to visit it on the front-end. I get a blank page and later compared URL used leading to it with SMF 2.0 installed (stable version). Both use exact same URL link leading to calendar and works fine with stable version - not with the Beta 3 of 2.1 though it didn't. I tested both versions on purpose to rule out the page not being blocked by Mod Sec - but both versions used same URL link leading to Calendar. So not sure why it shows for 2.0 version and not Beta 3 of 2.1 on front-end?

Also tested it running under both PHP 7.0 and 7.1, not sure about this one - but both was giving error logs from cache directory (when cache was enabled) to indicate something used in a PHP file might now be depreciated. Soon as I switched to PHP 5.6 the error logs stopped, so it seems linked with using PHP 7+ unless I'm missing a php module that needs be activated causing it

Advertisement: