News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

I wonder if that could be done with a mod?

Hint: write a mod to do it please !  :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

GigaWatt

Possibly... but for the default theme only, the mod probably wouldn't work on other themes.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

landyvlad

That's cool I only plan on using Curve2 anyway.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

GigaWatt

Yeah, Curve2 is a great theme ;). I like it a lot ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

wintstar

Quote from: landyvlad on June 24, 2018, 10:18:08 PM
Quote from: wintstar on May 26, 2018, 04:50:33 AM
Here my german 2.1 Beta4 page. With custom page and own themes.
2.1 is on a very good way and the developers are doing a very good job  :)

That looks good mate.

A question - the background image with transparency etc. Is that a feature of 2.1 (or something also available in 2.0 that I've missed).

What have you changed in the theme itself? It doesn't look all that different to my 2.1beta3 as far as I can tell from memory :)
I only copied the default theme, pasted a background image and customized the css. The first and reference page is not a mod. I added it to the system. I don't like the portal system. Too much for me. Download and contact page are Mods from 2.0. These I adapted to the GDPR. Not a big action.
Regards Stephan

,,In order for the possible to come into being, the impossible must be attempted again and again."
Hermann Hesse (1877-1962)

My HomepageMy Board - My Atelier

jmariga

Will this version be fully compatible to PHP 7?

Arantor

Yes, although the current version (2.0.15) is also ready to go with PHP 7. It's just plugins that aren't.

Dellanime

Quote from: GigaWatt on June 28, 2018, 08:27:09 AM
Yeah, Curve2 is a great theme ;). I like it a lot ;).

I totally agree !

pocttopus

Arantor

There is no official beta 4 release yet - but the code literally gets updated nearly every day so a 'beta 4 release' could be anything from a few months ago until today.

Seyit replikacep.com

Beta 4 mu or rc1 will occur  which will be released ????

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

At the moment, beta 4 is a working title. Time will tell if it will be an rc or a beta.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

I largely suspect the next release will actually be called RC1. Right now the code calls itself beta 4, however given how close the list of 'RC1 items' is, it's quite possible that beta 4 will be skipped and go straight to RC 1.

Seyit replikacep.com

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2018, 02:13:12 PM
I largely suspect the next release will actually be called RC1. Right now the code calls itself beta 4, however given how close the list of 'RC1 items' is, it's quite possible that beta 4 will be skipped and go straight to RC 1.

hope come rc version

Arantor

But why, though? What does it being called 'RC1' get you that it being called 'beta 4' doesn't? It's just a version number - until final happens, it doesn't *really* mean anything.

If anything, a repeat of 2.0 would be bad - 2.0 RC1 wasn't actually that great.

Seyit replikacep.com

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2018, 02:26:35 PM
But why, though? What does it being called 'RC1' get you that it being called 'beta 4' doesn't? It's just a version number - until final happens, it doesn't *really* mean anything.

If anything, a repeat of 2.0 would be bad - 2.0 RC1 wasn't actually that great.
I do not believe in 4 years now rc1 e

Arantor

So what? If the next release were called beta 4, or it were called RC1, it's still an in-development project, simple as that.

landyvlad

Is my understanding correct that the real "difference" is  -

beta - lots of changes, regularly. Strongly recommended NOT to be used in production.
RC - theoretically stable for production use, but still in a work in progress.
Final - good to go, install away and enjoy !

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

RC basically means the product should be ready to use, and the devs believe it does not have any major issues anymore.
Ideally, RC and final would be nearly identical.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

All I'll say is look at what happened with 2.0.

Advertisement: