News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GigaWatt

Quote from: landyvlad on July 24, 2018, 08:32:18 PM
RC - theoretically stable for production use, but still in a work in progress.

RC is short for Release Candidate. It means "we hope the product is ready for a Final releases, but we're not really sure yet, there might still be a few small bugs, so basically, it's more or less safe to use, but with caution"... also, it's still not advisable to use a RC on anything that you've invested in.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arantor

I say again: look at 2.0 ;)

Specifically compare 2.0 RC1 to 2.0.0, or even 2.0 RC1 to 2.0 RC2.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, well. I did say ideally. 2.0 RC was not an ideal case really.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

landyvlad

Hopefully the lessons from 2.0 will mean we won't see/required RC1, RC2, RC3 etc

I know everyone is looking forward to 2.1 Final - hopefully that won't be TOO far off, but only time will tell.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Antes

Quote from: Arantor on July 25, 2018, 02:40:20 AM
All I'll say is look at what happened with 2.0.

A huge management mistake ?

Arantor

No, the fact that Curve wasn't ready for RC1, came out in RC2, overhauled significantly in RC3. Or the hasty introduction of protected groups in RC4. Or the release of RC5 to reassure some of the... political agitants that SMF hadn't backed itself into a corner.

pocttopus

I know only one thing, that everyone is eagerly awaiting the official stable version. ::)
Please make it faster...  :-\

Veee

I am also super excited for SMF 2.1 to come out, but remember... Good things take time. :)

SMiFFER

Is everybody happily wasting time fighting about words again?

I remember I posted a thread named "congratulations SMF on the 7th birthday of SMF 2.0 Gold" and it was deleted right away. What I wanted to draw the attention to was this:

Is it not possible for some here to stick to the subject and/or the work?

FACT is: 2.0 GOLD is 7 years old and 2.1 is long overdue
FACT is: the team has changed and learned from its mismanagement
FACT is: suggestions are worthless because everything is swept off the table with "it's feature-locked"

I am looking forward to seeing a release finally coming, so all these nervecutting word-wars about nothing can
finally take their end and features and improvements can be discussed again.

Thumbs up, team!

Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Arantor

QuoteFACT is: 2.0 GOLD is 7 years old and 2.1 is long overdue

Correct. It was never meant to be a big release was already overdue 5 years ago when I tried to re-rail it, though I consciously added new features to it then because a release that no-one cared about because it had nothing compelling in it was worse than no release at all. But even I never expected it to take another 5 years.

QuoteFACT is: the team has changed and learned from its mismanagement

You say this with such certainty.

QuoteFACT is: suggestions are worthless because everything is swept off the table with "it's feature-locked"

Most suggestions are not worthless because of feature lock. Most suggestions aren't worth much because they're not really suitable for a generic piece of software - many of them would be very suitable if building a gaming forum or a roleplay forum or some other specific kind of forum, but not a general purpose forum.

Quoteso all these nervecutting word-wars about nothing can finally take their end

They're not about nothing. They're just about things you don't care about - that doesn't mean others don't care.

Douglas

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" -- Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr

This is more directed to the "Jr. Member" that thinks they know everything. You don't.

"This has been a rare sighting of the Emergency Bear Activation program. Had this been a test, your chances of survival would be greatly increased."

// Back to the shadows...
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Arantor

Hey Douglas, long time no see.

SilverKnight

SMF is still one of my favorite forum systems, sadly reddit is attacking the personal community structure as new users of the internet don't understand anything outside of it.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

u3games

Mick.

Alright, just upgraded my dev-site to 2.1. Let's see what's under the hood shall we?  :P

Kindred

you used the github version, right?
The download version of beta 3 is WAY out of date at this point.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mick.

Quote from: Kindred on August 16, 2018, 09:31:10 AM
you used the github version, right?
The download version of beta 3 is WAY out of date at this point.
Oh i didnt see you post... ol' boy just point it out your post ;) thank you.

406Northlane

Question from a SMF newbie...

Safe to assume that 'eventually', 2.1 will be available via package manager?

I'm on 2.0.15 but like I said... newbie with this particular forum software. Not sure if I'm ready to tackle a manual install.

Thanks in advance.

Kindred

no.

2.1 will be a major release...   this means you must use the upgrade archive/process, not the patch process.
You will never be able to upgrade from a 2.0.x release to a 2.1.x release by using the package manager
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: