SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nolt

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on October 21, 2018, 03:36:11 PM
We don't have enough developers to move it along faster, plain and simple. Maybe the situation was different back then (I wasn't around for that)

Maybe if more people tried to help instead of just complaining it would be already finished. Remember this is an open source project and no one is paid to work on it.
I totally agree with you and I regret we lack of more devs to help :'(

I think that users who visit this site are just concern that nothing is going on with 2.1 progress. People just like reading news rather than visiting GIT and check milestone or bug tracker. In past we had more SMF 2.0 WIP released than now.
Mine point is that maybe would be better to post a news from time to time about the progress (even when no new beta/rc are released) rather than nothing.

Quote from: Bigguy on October 21, 2018, 03:48:27 PM
Personally as a viewer of GH on a daily basis, I think the progress has been going very good recently.
That's true, fingers crossed to keep with this work.

live627

Bigguy

wintstar

A saying in Germany says:
Good things take time :)

2.1 is on the right track.

Regards Stephan

,,In order for the possible to come into being, the impossible must be attempted again and again."
Hermann Hesse (1877-1962)

My HomepageMy Board - My Atelier

movierchives

Quote from: Bigguy on October 21, 2018, 04:23:58 PM
They should also check this link. It looks real good I think:

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/milestones

I don't get that, RC1 93% complete and RC2 32% complete

So two release candidates are being worked on at the same time?  :o

d3vcho

No, just some issues and stuff are tagged for RC1 while some others are tagged for RC2. RC1 tagged issues must be solved for RC1 release, and RC2 ones dont.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Nolt on October 21, 2018, 07:05:47 PM

I think that users who visit this site are just concern that nothing is going on with 2.1 progress. People just like reading news rather than visiting GIT and check milestone or bug tracker. In past we had more SMF 2.0 WIP released than now.
Mine point is that maybe would be better to post a news from time to time about the progress (even when no new beta/rc are released) rather than nothing.
Maybe. Though if that is done it would likely go into dev blog rather than this news section.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

Quote from: movierchives on October 23, 2018, 10:46:06 AM

I don't get that, RC1 93% complete and RC2 32% complete

So two release candidates are being worked on at the same time?  :o

technically, yes....   dozens of versions may be worked on "at the same time"
Issues get tagged to a version for release. Those issues MAY get addressed before the release even officially starts work.... or an issue that was addressed for RC1 may have been bumped out to RC2 - and so forth.

Realistically, don't worry about anything except the next release - and even then, the stats are more fluid than fixed, given that issues can be pushed out ot brought in, depending on severity, etc.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

Fluid is right. I have seen RC1 go from 95% complete to 83% complete in the blink of an eye. All who work on it are working hard to get it out. One fix might cause two bugs and they have to be fixed and so on. It's frustrating sometimes, lol.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Bigguy on October 23, 2018, 06:04:08 PM
It's frustrating sometimes, lol.

Coding usually is :P... considering it's consisted of 5% of the time actually coding, 95% fixing bugs, LOL :D.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

live627

and code just gets more annoying when you know several languages. Can't mix PHP and C#, for example.

gevv

ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

Bigguy

That's a very nice pic. Gotta love it. :)

shawnb61

For better or worse, in Github, random contributors submit whatever they want to, whenever they want to.  Most get bent out of shape when their prs aren't mmediately tested and merged by the devs.

Which uses up dev time.   A lot of it.  (And who really wants to spend days and weeks testing someone else's stuff?)

But they don't want to discourage good contributions. 

So...   

You prioritize.  It's a basic, minimalist, workable, self defense mechanism. 

And submissions come in all over the map.

I welcome the recent focus on specifying RCs.  It sets priorities and expectations.  RC2 is a polite way of saying well look at your contribution.  Later.

It's a good thing.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SMiFFER

^^^^ This really gives hope! ^^^^  You made my day!
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

SMiFFER

Just in the very first topic on git hub that I open
(https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/4930)
I read this:

quote:
"team should inform community better"

That hits the nail on the head.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

d3vcho

Different people, different opinions.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Gwenwyfar

Not sure that was the intention of the comment, but either way, I agree. The problem is we just don't have anyone focused on this because everyone is busy doing other things.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Torngate

Loving seeing the progress y'all are making. Wish I had the programming aptitude to help out, but alas 'tis not to be.

Keep up the good work!
Site Administrator- Shadow Fleet Star Trek RPG

wintstar

There are still outdated 2.1 Beta 3 available for download, although they are outdated. Also the language packs for it. The current beta archives of Github should be offered, so that you can also test at the current state. Very often there were error messages. It turned out then sometime that it was an outdated Beta3 archive. This should also be changed. The few know that on Github already Beta4 is active. Also applies to the outdated language packs that are still recommended => https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=562247.0
Regards Stephan

,,In order for the possible to come into being, the impossible must be attempted again and again."
Hermann Hesse (1877-1962)

My HomepageMy Board - My Atelier

Advertisement: