SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seyit replikacep.com

can't it be a little speedy rc version rc can be completed this year ?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Seyit replikacep.com

we will wait and see the end of +1 month  :o

Arantor

No, every time someone asks if it can be done quicker, we add another month to how long it's already going to take.

Just in the last week alone, the next release date has extended by over three months.

live627

Quote from: wintstar on October 29, 2018, 04:18:06 AM
There are still outdated 2.1 Beta 3 available for download, although they are outdated. Also the language packs for it. The current beta archives of Github should be offered, so that you can also test at the current state. Very often there were error messages. It turned out then sometime that it was an outdated Beta3 archive. This should also be changed. The few know that on Github already Beta4 is active. Also applies to the outdated language packs that are still recommended => https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=562247.0
but beta 3 is an official release, beta 4 is just something the files on github are called for some reason.

Quote from: Arantor on October 29, 2018, 03:47:17 PM
No, every time someone asks if it can be done quicker, we add another month to how long it's already going to take.

Just in the last week alone, the next release date has extended by over three months.
So, a Duke Nukem Forever type release schedule? lol 

Arantor

No, not a DNF schedule, just one that is realistic. Every complaint makes it take longer.

wintstar

but beta 3 is an official release, beta 4 is just something the files on github are called for some reason.
It is not logical to offer Beta3 here for testing and to be much further on Github. Some report bugs from Beta 3 that are already fixed on Github.
That's no way to get testers, no way to get ahead. On Github is working on Beta4, so why not officially release it?

Regards Stephan

,,In order for the possible to come into being, the impossible must be attempted again and again."
Hermann Hesse (1877-1962)

My HomepageMy Board - My Atelier

Johnny54

Beta 4 is still being worked on. It is not ready to be released.

Antechinus

Quote from: wintstar on October 29, 2018, 04:43:30 PMIt is not logical to offer Beta3 here for testing and to be much further on Github. Some report bugs from Beta 3 that are already fixed on Github.
That's no way to get testers, no way to get ahead. On Github is working on Beta4, so why not officially release it?

Presumably because they're not yet happy that it's ready to be called Beta 4. It's easy to test if you want to test it. Just download the latest build from GitHub and install it wherever you like.

Arantor

I strongly suspect that beta 4 is simply a holding name and that the next release will be RC1 once all the remaining bugs that are important enough to not wait are fixed...

Antechinus

That makes sense. ;) In which case they'd definitely want to be sure it's ready to be called an RC.

(Says he, with dire memories of the 2.0 RC cycle)

live627

Kindred

Also calmer releasing an official version on the website is not a simple as pushing a button.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Seyit replikacep.com

I think smf should be a paid software and seo should come smf ink structure change must be sitemap

Arantor

Quote from: Replikacep on October 30, 2018, 01:16:28 AM
I think smf should be a paid software and seo should come smf ink structure change must be sitemap

The first thing is never going to happen, the second is also never going to happen, the third is unlikely but possible, I guess.

Kindred

SMF will never be paid. period.
Simple Machines is already an incorporated corporation. We're not going to change our corporate structure (and even if we did, it would have no effect on SMF, the software....)
Sitemaps are available in several different formats as mods.

Слaва
Украинi

live627

On that note, here's a little write-up that's existed since the dawn of SMF: Why free is better

https://www.simplemachines.org/about/whyfree.php

Arantor

Besides if it went paid, I suspect the person suggesting it would then complain about how expensive it is and demand it be free again.

Antes

Quote from: Arantor on October 30, 2018, 04:28:33 PM
Besides if it went paid, I suspect the person suggesting it would then complain about how expensive it is and demand it be free again.

No they just use nulled version.

Arantor

And then be denied support and complain about it.

Advertisement: