SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaks

Quote from: Replikacep on October 30, 2018, 01:16:28 AM
I think smf should be a paid software

If your willing to pay why not do the next best thing and become a charter member, you will be funding SMF and feel like you are buying a license ...
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

cpf

Quote from: Arantor on October 29, 2018, 03:47:17 PM
No, every time someone asks if it can be done quicker, we add another month to how long it's already going to take.

Just in the last week alone, the next release date has extended by over three months.

I believe this.  This explains how we're half a decade into beta.

I'd be using it right now and fat and happy if the pretty URLs could be ported.

Triple posts deleted/merged - Iris.
Don't email me, PM me, IM me, contact me, look at me, breath on me, or even attempt to think about thinking of contacting me.  If you do, I will send you to the correct forum to post, where I will promptly tell you that you posted in the wrong forum.

Arantor

Quote from: cpf on November 04, 2018, 11:50:39 PM
Quote from: Arantor on October 29, 2018, 03:47:17 PM
No, every time someone asks if it can be done quicker, we add another month to how long it's already going to take.

Just in the last week alone, the next release date has extended by over three months.

I believe this.  This explains how we're half a decade into beta.

Sadly, it was a joke. The real reasons amount to three complete replacements of dev team in that time, no one having a concrete vision of what 2.1 should actually contain (and therefore no way to know when "done") and everyone just doing it in their spare time.

Vahid

is there any new news or estimated time for stable version?

Arantor

* another week added to the estimate.

landyvlad

Maybe a solution to the constant questions might be a stickied thread titled, "When is 2.1 going to be released?"

with

• A brief explanation re why no dates set.
  • An explanation of what RC1, RC2 and Final means; and
  • A periodically updated copy of the github progress as per:

(OK well not a solution but it might be easier just to point people to that thread rather than explain over and over... and over.. again)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

d3vcho

1. We already explained that *a lot* of times.
2. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle
3. I wrote the last dev updates from Dev's Blog (with help of some members of the team, of course). Because apart from the developers not a lot of people among the team has development knowledge or perhaps, time to write a new article (my case, right know), it's kinda difficult to get one of those periodically. Furthermore, if you're wondering why devs doesn't write them, it's because we prefer them to focus on real development rather than writing new blog posts.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Arantor

No one reads stickies. Once it gets enough comments, it just becomes a ball of people asking the questions answered by the first post because reading the first post is effort.

live627

The mobile version of Wikipedia is kinda nice on a desktop PC, ironically enough.

whoey

Quote from: landyvlad on November 13, 2018, 04:57:48 AM
Maybe a solution to the constant questions might be a stickied thread titled, "When is 2.1 going to be released?"

with

• A brief explanation re why no dates set.
  • An explanation of what RC1, RC2 and Final means; and
  • A periodically updated copy of the github progress as per:

(OK well not a solution but it might be easier just to point people to that thread rather than explain over and over... and over.. again)
and today that's showing no issues open for RC1... is it finally happening?

Antes

Quick add some issues to the RC1 list before users get their hopes up :D :D

Sesquipedalian

There's a process and a good bit of work involved in putting together a release from the code on GitHub, so patience is still required. Progress is advancing, as you can see, but as always, the official release date is "when it's ready." ;)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

And don't forget, every time someone asks, add another week ;D

d3vcho

Yeah, we have already a.. uhm.. 37 week delay? More or less?

Kindred

if they keep asking, the actual release date will catch up to the original plan + delay. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

I keep having doubts about how we will use the delay. Maybe have a team vacation ::)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

d3vcho

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on November 14, 2018, 04:00:35 PM
I keep having doubts about how we will use the delay. Maybe have a team vacation ::)

Paid?

Gwenwyfar

Is there payment in candy? I'd accept that.

Or we could do a Cuban move and pay everyone in rum.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

landyvlad

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on November 14, 2018, 07:14:48 PM
Or we could do a Cuban move and pay everyone in rum.

If you reward all the devs post RC1 release with rum, then RC2 is gonna be funky !!!
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

live627

I wanna be paid in oatmeal raisin cookies. :D

Advertisement: