News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Chit chat takes far less effort to write than code. I can make hundreds of posts a day, but hundreds of lines of code? Less likely.

Kindred

I will note that most of the developers don't contribute to the "talk about it" because they are out there doing it...   so, your comment is just incorrect in its entirety
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I also think people don't understand what's actually involved with programming, they think it's as easy as just typing. Fun fact, I spent 8 hours at work programming, I fixed two bugs and changed something at a client's request, these things totalled 28 lines of code. Just over 4 lines of code per hour and yet I'm consistently considered one of the most productive people.

It really isn't easy to actually do this programming thing. I suggest those complaining about it give it a go sometime.

vbgamer45

Exactly, it depends sometimes on a lot of factors, time, thinking of the issue, for me personally I am always pushed in many directions or people needing me to do something.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: OCJ on December 28, 2018, 01:12:19 PM
One thing about SMF that stands out on support forums - they talk a lot more about doing something than actually doing it. Wonder how many MB of Dev chit chat there are about 2.1 releases - if only it was code. Makes you wonder how much chit chat each line of software code represents.

Posts by Sesquipedalian on simplemachines.org:

Contributions by Sesquipedalian to SMF 2.1:
738 commits
35,683 lines of code changes:
   20,735 additions
   14,948 deletions

Please feel free to reconsider your claim, OCJ. ;)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arantor

I assumed it was a dig at me, so...

SD-X

It was probably toward anyone and everyone associated with SMF because he's impatient waiting for that next release of pure awesomeness.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on December 29, 2018, 05:26:52 AM
Maybe that's what everyone thought. I thought of replying too but... There's better things to do. Like resting and having fun so you'll be able to write code better without stressing youself, or discussing doing things for when you have the time to do it ;D
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Arantor on December 29, 2018, 05:26:52 AM

If so, that'd be even sillier. You've posted so often here over the years because you've spent so much time helping people. To complain about that would seem... rather odd.

Quote from: SugarD-x on December 29, 2018, 05:33:22 AM
It was probably toward anyone and everyone associated with SMF because he's impatient waiting for that next release of pure awesomeness.

That sounds about right to me. Also, :D
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Gwenwyfar

Yep.

And I just noticed my comment was rather ambiguous. If it's for everyone, then each one of us is personally included, though some do post here more often, so...

To miss the fact some hardly even post here at all is also silly.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Looking

Quote from: Arantor on December 28, 2018, 07:47:02 PMI also think people don't understand what's actually involved with programming, they think it's as easy as just typing.
Time is relative online so many feel your time is theirs and what you dedicate your time to is the same as things they would. Coding things for 'free' usually is a work of love- people do not know the cost or time involved in these ventures. In other words, you are not human- you are not entitled to life, free time or pursuing your own needs and wants. You are just there for them, and them only. That is the modern interpretation of a username- the person that posts updates that meets your needs when you want it.

With all that said... let's hope that 2019 sees some good surprises for SMF 2.1 with a stable public release. ;)

Ronald_1938

For people that want to learn some coding try here: https://www.codecademy.com/

It is a very difficult job coding..

landyvlad

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on December 29, 2018, 05:25:45 AM
Quote from: OCJ on December 28, 2018, 01:12:19 PM
One thing about SMF that stands out on support forums - they talk a lot more about doing something than actually doing it. Wonder how many MB of Dev chit chat there are about 2.1 releases - if only it was code. Makes you wonder how much chit chat each line of software code represents.

Posts by Sesquipedalian on simplemachines.org:

Contributions by Sesquipedalian to SMF 2.1:
738 commits
35,683 lines of code changes:
   20,735 additions
   14,948 deletions

Please feel free to reconsider your claim, OCJ. ;)

ROFLMAO  OCJ = pwned.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

SD-X

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think OCJ was the one being rude, making such comments on the development team, apparently based on false assumptions made on the forum alone.

For anyone who has spent a little time here, it should be fairly apparent that actual development work is not really visible here, and one can't make assumptions like that on what they see here. Even github can't really show how much time and effort has gone in to each commit...
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

petewadey

Hi,
I'm looking to resolve the mobile friendliness of my site. I'm running 2.0.15 with the responsive curve mod. Will this version do away with the need of a mod, and be responsive anyway? So is it worth me sitting back and waiting for the upgrade?
And how about other mods, will they be compatible with this version? And if not, are they automatically discarded on upgrade?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Arantor

Yes 2.1 is responsive, some mods will work with few or no changes, but all mods should be uninstalled on upgrade.

The package manager will frequently try to let you install things that aren't marked for 2.1 on the off chance they might work.

ModelBoatMayhem

8  months and not release as yet?!

14 months since ANY update!!!

....... SMF is starting to look VERY dated these days and an 'elephant-in-the-room'  of missing features....   :'(

I don't know code, I don't know the difficulties... I'm just a consumer of SMF ...... for over 12 years!  :-[ :'( :'( 
That's my firm opinion.... but what do I know?!

Bigguy

14 months since an update.....Me thinks you have not been to GH lately.

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/milestones

OCJ

Two and a half lines of chitchat produced a whole page of  replies. Some people here are very highly strung - wasn't at all  like some people made it out to be. Of course I appreciate the difference between writing chitchat and code, and the hard work people put in - just doesn't seem so productive as a group here (but that's another story better left burried). Anyway, it was meant to be posted in another board, 'Old News and No Updates'.

Advertisement: