News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by Colin, May 31, 2017, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: ModelBoatMayhem on January 10, 2019, 07:17:40 PM

8  months and not release as yet?!

14 months since ANY update!!!
Yes, it's been long - but personally I'm pretty happy with my 2.0 still, I'm in no rush to get to an unfinished 2.1.

Quote from: ModelBoatMayhem on January 10, 2019, 07:17:40 PM
....... SMF is starting to look VERY dated these days and an 'elephant-in-the-room'  of missing features....   :'(

I don't know code, I don't know the difficulties... I'm just a consumer of SMF ...... for over 12 years!  :-[ :'( :'( 

Yeah, I've been with SMF since 2005, so 14 years or so, and have never heard my users complain of those "missing features" that are available on other platforms - Actually, looking at the feature list of phpBB for example, I can't say what those are...
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Quote from: OCJ on January 10, 2019, 09:27:07 PM
Of course I appreciate the difference between writing chitchat and code, and the hard work people put in - just doesn't seem so productive as a group here (but that's another story better left burried). Anyway, it was meant to be posted in another board, 'Old News and No Updates'.

Well, for one, yet again, you're just plain wrong in pretty much everything you said...
SMF is quite productive. If you think otherwise, then you're not actually paying attention.
... and your statement did not indicate any appreciation of the difference, since you directly related the two and indicated that you believed the chit chat was indicative of lack of coding progress.
As for "old news and no updates" - once again, you don't seem to be paying attention, since - while it may not be the updates that you WANT - there have been frequent updates both in code and notes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

So other words, a blowhard complaining that the free time of volunteers is not being spent fast enough so he doesn't have to.

Ronald_1938

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2019, 04:04:06 PM
You might just be on to something there, perhaps this topic should be split already.

Oh, and I appreciate the effort, I do - but that sounded strange, tervetuloa is a greeting like welcome in english, but what you probably meant would translate to "Ole hyvä" -> Be good. :P

Nope just saying welcome in Finnish "Peculiar Finn"  I chat with Bryan (runic) to much..besides my second family are all Finnish

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Oldcrow on January 11, 2019, 04:07:23 PM
You might just be on to something there, perhaps this topic should be split already.

Oh, and I appreciate the effort, I do - but that sounded strange, tervetuloa is a greeting like welcome in english, but what you probably meant would translate to "Ole hyvä" -> Be good. :P

Nope just saying welcome in Finnish "Peculiar Finn"  I chat with Bryan (runic) to much..besides my second family are all Finnish

Cool, well - I've been around a couple of years longer than you, so didn't immediately think you were welcoming me :P
Anyhow, remind Bryan to explain you how some words in finnish have a dozen of different usages :P And the other way around.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ronald_1938

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2019, 04:12:30 PM

Cool, well - I've been around a couple of years longer than you, so didn't immediately think you were welcoming me :P
Anyhow, remind Bryan to explain you how some words in finnish have a dozen of different usages :P And the other way around.

Amazing.. none of my family speaks the language, but they do belong to 2 Finnish organizations in Michigan

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I actually have family in the states I understand, no idea where - don't know them.
But, I already split this topic once - let's continue on topic :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

SD-X

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/milestones

In case anyone is questioning the progress.

As for the actual topic at hand, I'm very excited for RC1. I've been manually updating to the "Beta 4" files in the mean time, so it will be nice to get my forum back onto a proper release schedule. I'm just hoping there aren't any conflicts between the GitHub files and RC1 since the live GitHub stuff may contain things in newer releases, (such as RC2 and Final).

OCJ

SMF does look outdated and of course board admins want to give their users the best experience possible for the price (free :-P).

I do wish SMF picks up and becomes more popular but long long update cycles will put off people. I know it's all volunteer, but that is the way people are.

QuoteAleksi...
Yeah, I've been with SMF since 2005, so 14 years or so, and have never heard my users complain of those "missing features" that are available on other platforms - Actually, looking at the feature list of phpBB for example, I can't say what those are...

Users might compare to social networks but not the users I think that are worried about features - more likely admins running the boards.

I used SMf for about 8 years but was testing it in 2006 for a club. It fit my specific requirements better than others. It was more active then as well with talk of 3.0.
The features in 2.1 that are mods being incorporated are not such a big thing as they were mods for a long time. I know a lot of code has been updated but as an Admin it is not much of a change.
There are features in SMF that I miss but my requirements are not as strict so I can use another forum. phpBB is easier using mods/extensions ( pretty much plugin and play with no code modification problems) and the themes are better for mobile devices (whatever Kindred says otherwise about themes here).
Hopefully SMF 2.1 will fix that - it just took too long.

GigaWatt

Quote from: OCJ on January 12, 2019, 07:50:05 PM
I do wish SMF picks up and becomes more popular but long long update cycles will put off people. I know it's all volunteer, but that is the way people are.

Correct, that's the way people are... nowadays. That is not how people used to be.

Advancements in technology have basically spoiled people and made them lazy. "Damn it, this looks terrible on my phone... I have to zoom in and out and... ah, f*ck this.". The fact is that the site (forum) doesn't look terrible at all... the fact that they have to use both fingers to browse through the damn thing and try to browse it on a 10cm screen is what annoys them. Really ???. Have we gotten to the point when using our fingers is annoying ???. It's that bad, huh ::). Also, have you ever read the paper on a 10 x 7 cm screen ???. That's why paper sheets have the size that they have... so people can LOOK and READ them, not squirt at them.

See... the problem is... people expect to use nothing more than their thumb to mindlessly browse through content. That is what the social networks turned users into - mindless zombies who browse through stuff when they have nothing better to do (in some cases, even when they do have something to do)... and they expect to only use their thumb to view every single piece of content they find on the web. Well... excuse me for not being lazy and using all of my fingers ::). I thought that was the way we were designed... to use our extremities ::).

In conclusion, people just want more and more and more and more... it doesn't matter how much you try, most of them are never grateful and are always unsatisfied. Thus, it doesn't really matter what you bring at the table, as long as it doesn't look like FB, Twitter, Snapchat, it won't really matter.

That's why I've stopped competing... it's pointless (I'd even go as far to say mindless). People will always complain about something. I've made this clear to the users of my forum. "Don't ask for miracles. The forum looks like this, this is how it's going to stay for the time being. Small changes and modifications can be made, but don't ask me to rewrite the core. If you don't like it, there are other places on the web which you can call your home.".
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Deaks

Wait how come I came into this convo??
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Deaks

hmm suspicious secret convos about me ....
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

SD-X

Quote from: OCJ on January 12, 2019, 07:50:05 PM
...phpBB is easier using mods/extensions ( pretty much plugin and play with no code modification problems)...
Excuse me, but what?!? I use PHPBB and SMF both. Plugins and mods are a NIGHTMARE on PHPBB. Their entire extension system is a disaster waiting to happen. Any time it breaks, so does your entire forum and half your database. PHPBB was my first, but SMF got the package system right. If anything, PHPBB should make their own more like SMF's.

Ronald_1938

Quote from: BryanD on January 13, 2019, 03:35:04 AM

Wait how come I came into this convo??

I mentioned you..

OCJ

QuoteExcuse me, but what?!? I use PHPBB and SMF both. Plugins and mods are a NIGHTMARE on PHPBB. Their entire extension system is a disaster waiting to happen. Any time it breaks, so does your entire forum and half your database. PHPBB was my first, but SMF got the package system right. If anything, PHPBB should make their own more like SMF's.

That might be your experience, but not mine.

1. In phpBB you upload the extension package to a folder 'ext', then enable it - done. Removing mods is just the same - disable and delete - no code modifications for admin to do.

There is no messing about with manual edits and package manager warnings - everything usually works  'out of the box'. The only problems I encountered was in sql with conflicts between mods.

2. Themes are better as well on mobile devices.

3. I don't need a portal as there are official extensions that provide what a portal would do.

That said, I prefer the admin panel in SMF. Also moderation is a bit of a pain in phpBB as you have to go through all posts without the ability to filter first.
No Subscription core function in phpBB - that was useful to me in SMF.
The calendar in SMF is a waste of time as functionally it is different when posting from the calendar and the board - permissions are not checked the same. Nothing but trouble (reported this).

I also (re-)reported a bug about guests not being able to reply to their own post - think that has still not been fixed!!!???
Seems it was just kept quiet  here but it was fixed in a fork of SMF. That was left that way for years - shocking.

Probably more mods available for SMF - maybe that is simply because development of new versions is slow and old mods still work.

Arantor

1 was done in an SMF fork but later partially undone because "it's not flexible enough" and it was never adopted for SMF because of fears of how it would not let mod authors be able to do what they can do today.

2 is fixed in 2.1

3... so you don't need a portal because you have a portal.

SD-X

Quote from: OCJ on January 17, 2019, 09:01:09 AM
1. In phpBB you upload the extension package to a folder 'ext', then enable it - done. Removing mods is just the same - disable and delete - no code modifications for admin to do.
You do the exact, same thing in SMF, except it warns you of conflicts before you install it. Many mods in PHPBB still require code editing...

vbgamer45

The issue with mods/extensions in new versions of phpBB is many developers of those addons have moved on same for SMF. But second the extensions for phpBB seems to require a higher level of coding knowledge. SMF does have hook based mods as well that require no edits. And the mod site does seem to enforce that for new mods when it is possible. 2.1 adds a ton more hooks to use.

I have worked with both soft wares and still do some phpBB. I prefer the SMF license since it is more open and perfer coding for it  due to it's setup. The major issue with SMF has been its slow release cycle but it happens do to people coming and going.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

live627

I also (re-)reported a bug about guests not being able to reply to their own post - think that has still not been fixed!!!???
Seems it was just kept quiet  here but it was fixed in a fork of SMF. That was left that way for years - shocking.
That has prompted me to dig through your old posts and I found [2.0.11] Guest shown reply button but on click denied (login required) - seems to be what you're talking about and has been addressed in SMF 2.1 https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/2043/files

Advertisement: