News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Why is SMF not responsive to mobile devices by default?

Started by thebuffalo, June 01, 2017, 02:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebuffalo

Why is SMF not responsive to mobile devices by default?

Illori

because that did not exist back when SMF 2.0 was released. we are not adding it to SMF 2.0 by default as it may cause issues for some users. there is a responsive mod available and many responsive themes.

thebuffalo

Quote from: Illori on June 01, 2017, 02:30:07 PM
because that did not exist back when SMF 2.0 was released. we are not adding it to SMF 2.0 by default as it may cause issues for some users. there is a responsive mod available and many responsive themes.

So is 2.0 already responsive?

Arantor

No, it is not, that is what is being said.

2.0's theme hasn't substantially changed since it was first designed in 2007.

Nor is it going to be changed.

There are mods that can help with this but they are not bundled by default because they can break some actually-responsive themes.

thebuffalo

Quote from: Arantor on June 01, 2017, 02:41:45 PM
No, it is not, that is what is being said.

2.0's theme hasn't substantially changed since it was first designed in 2007.

Nor is it going to be changed.

There are mods that can help with this but they are not bundled by default because they can break some actually-responsive themes.

But because a community of developers is not a company that is a large current part of the hits comes by mobile devices. Sure there are mod and responsive themes, but if it were by serial serial more efficient

The phpBB forum system for example already comes standard compatible with mobile devices

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

thebuffalo

Quote from: Colin on June 01, 2017, 02:48:02 PM
Check out SMF 2.1 Beta 3. :)

I was honestly thinking of migrating to phpBB just for this. But happy to know that there will be this future change. You even change your mind.

Are you forecast when will SMF 2.1 Beta 3 be released?

Arantor

Beta 3 is already out. Final is whenever it happens.

Though you've been able to test-drive SMF 2.1 for the last few years from GitHub...

thebuffalo

Quote from: Arantor on June 01, 2017, 02:56:59 PM
Beta 3 is already out. Final is whenever it happens.

Though you've been able to test-drive SMF 2.1 for the last few years from GitHub...

I'm Brazilian and I do not understand what you mean in the last message. Could you please send it another way?

Arantor

2.1 has been in development for nearly 6 years. Almost all of that time, it was available for you to download from https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 where you can see the individual changes happening on a daily basis.

thebuffalo

Quote from: Arantor on June 01, 2017, 03:05:19 PM
2.1 has been in development for nearly 6 years. Almost all of that time, it was available for you to download from https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 where you can see the individual changes happening on a daily basis.

Sorry, now I understand. Do you recommend upgrading?

Illori

Kindred

However, there are plenty of responsive themes available and there is a mod (which vbgamer linked, above) which converts the default theme to a mostly responsive design
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

marcosbr

Como você é brasileiro, vou responder em Português ...
O link que o  Vbgamer45 te passou não é uma atualização. É um MOD que você instala normalmente pelo gerenciador de pacotes!
Fica melhor que a maioria dos temas responsivos!
Quanto a versão 2.1 ... Ainda é uma versão de "teste" e já vi muita gente estragar fórum tentando a atualização.
Da para ver que é muito boa, usa  CSS Sprites , melhores imagens, segurança, etc ... Também estou aguardando a versão "final"
Fique no SMF e aguarde a versão final 2,1.
A 2.0.14 ja evoluiu muito!

Nothing in life is absolute. We are always learning... Did you know that?
https://amigosdaeletronica.com.br

thebuffalo

Yes. I'll stay at SMF. Support is also powerful. A team of yours is to be congratulated. It was always a solid support. I do not work in the development area, I'm just a curious one that uses these resources, but I see the effort of the team and the project that has grown a lot in recent years.

The negative point was the one that said earlier about the system default being responsive to mobile devices, but as I said, I believe in the evolution of the project and once again congratulate the entire team.

In the role of user and enjoy a system that has trained volunteers I have to collaborate as much as possible with the project. Inclusive I will write articles on the problems that I have passed with their due resolutions and also articles to divulge the potentiality of SMF.

Thank you all and thank you very much.

Arantor

Quote from: thebuffalo on June 01, 2017, 03:08:52 PM
Quote from: Arantor on June 01, 2017, 03:05:19 PM

Sorry, now I understand. Do you recommend upgrading?

No, I was just advising that since it seemed important to you to know about development of SMF and responsiveness so that you could make an informed decision as to whether to move to phpBB or not.

Advertisement: