Installation Error (fresh install of Beta 3)

Started by Rob Lightbody, June 03, 2017, 06:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Lightbody

Quote from: Illori on June 10, 2017, 03:42:05 PM
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Contributing_to_SMF#How_to_install_SMF_from_github

OK Thanks, understood!

I've done this, and now get the following error at step 1.  As discussed earlier in this topic, I do meet the minimum requirements.

Critical Error!
Warning! You do not appear to have a version of PHP installed on your webserver that meets SMF's minimum installations requirements.
If you are not the host, you will need to ask your host to upgrade, or use a different host - otherwise, please upgrade PHP to a recent version.

If you know for a fact that your PHP version is high enough you may continue, although this is strongly discouraged.

shawnb61

Thanks for all the info.

Sorry for not specifying using the github version...   I should have specified that.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Rob Lightbody

Any further help appreciated.

I don't think we want to start testing it properly until we can get a clean, fresh install of it to work.

shawnb61

I cannot reproduce the php version error. 

What is really odd is that you did not get that error on the prior installation.  Are you using the exact same environment?

It may be helpful to see what phpinfo() says in that environment, to see if it detects the right php version:
   https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_is_a_phpinfo()_file

The installation is intended to work from a fresh set of files (i.e., the folder should be empty beforehand) & to populate an empty database.  Are you attempting a fresh install, in a clean new folder?

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

albertlast

ther is no error as fare i see,
in the install.php is min version of 5.4.45 and he got 5.4.37
and his version is lower as the defined version. -> works as designed.

shawnb61

Yep...   It just changed days ago (I'm assuming as a result of lessons learned with 2.0.14).  I hadn't noticed that.  That explains why there was no php version issue on the prior attempt. 

Options are to upgrade the php version, or, if that's a problem at the moment, to use the released beta version. 

Illori

the beta version had a bug that the user was trying to see if was resolved in the github version.

Rob Lightbody

Quote from: albertlast on June 11, 2017, 11:44:59 AM
ther is no error as fare i see,
in the install.php is min version of 5.4.45 and he got 5.4.37
and his version is lower as the defined version. -> works as designed.

Thank you, and understood.

Is there any way the error message could actually say that (the version number required/found) ?

I have no way to upgrade my PHP version, unfortunately, so will have to put the project on hold (although I will ask my hosting company if they can help).

albertlast

5.4.45 i think is to high any minor version of 5.4.x should be enough.

Arantor

Quote from: albertlast on June 11, 2017, 01:32:53 PM
5.4.45 i think is to high any minor version of 5.4.x should be enough.

Of course 5.4.0 would be high enough. But we can blame all the hosts for not being up to date.

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Rob Lightbody

Me again, and I come with good news!

My hosting company upgraded me to PHP 5.6.30.  I deleted everything, re-downloaded release 21 from github, copied the files from the other folder and created a blank db_last_error.php, and then ran the install.

Perfection - not a single problem.

Thank you.

Sesquipedalian

Good to hear.

Meanwhile, the requested change has been merged, so anyone else PHP 5.4.0 or higher will be able to install SMF 2.1.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: