News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Upgrade from 1.1.21 to 2.0.14 stalls

Started by Ooypunk, June 03, 2017, 11:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ooypunk

Hello all,

Noticing that my forum was a bit outdated, I tried updating. That brings me to the first problem: upgrading from 1.1.15 to 1.1.21 already  broke the forum, but, guessing that that was because I installed the latest language pack, I continued to upgrade.

Now the forum doesn't work at all anymore, but I guess that is because the upgrade stalls at step 4: Database Changes, at "Executing: "Changing column names." (1 of 42)". I don't see any error messages, other than "Server has not responded for 300 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again".

There must be something going terribly wrong, but as there are no messages, I don't know what. The size of the database shouldn't be the problem: 5 MB, and that is including a WordPress site, and the SMF backup tables.

How do I go about now? Put back the database backup and start over?

PS. I tried repair_settings.php, but that didn't work either: according to the manual about it, I should not forget to push the "Save" button, but there is none.

Sir Osis of Liver

Assuming you have a good database backup from 1.1.15 install, get back to .15 and start over.  You need to upgrade successfully to .21, then to 2.0.13.  If first step doesn't work, you have to fix that before attempting upgrade to 2.0.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ooypunk

So, I have the database back at where it was. The forum didn't work, because the files were still at 1.1.21 (or 2.*, not sure anymore), so I downloaded the 1.1.15 Upgrade ZIP-file and put that in place.

Now, seeing that the database was already at 1.1.15, the Upgrade should run without problems, I thought, but that stalls too. I quote:
QuoteConverting "log_boards"... Unsuccessful!
This query:

SELECT lmr.ID [nofollow]_BOARD, lmr.ID [nofollow]_MEMBER, lmr.logTime
    FROM smf_log_mark_read AS lmr
    LEFT JOIN smf_log_boards AS lb ON (lb.ID_BOARD = lmr.ID [nofollow]_BOARD AND lb.ID [nofollow]_MEMBER = lmr.ID [nofollow]_MEMBER)
    WHERE lb.logTime < lmr.logTime;

Caused the error:

Unknown column 'lmr.logTime' in 'field list'

Apparently smf_log_mark_read is missing a column (or more); should I now add it by hand, and if so, what should be its type?

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you try upgrading from 1.1.15 to 1.1.21?  Don't currently have a 1.1.x install, but that column does not exist in 2.0 core.

- R. Waters

Ooypunk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 04, 2017, 11:38:39 PM
Did you try upgrading from 1.1.15 to 1.1.21?  Don't currently have a 1.1.x install, but that column does not exist in 2.0 core.
Not yet, this was when trying to run the 1.1.15 Upgrade on a database that is supposed to be 1.1.15.

Sir Osis of Liver

You need to get the forum running in 1.1.15 again.  Do you have database and file backups from the working forum?

- R. Waters

Ooypunk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 07, 2017, 01:20:09 PM
You need to get the forum running in 1.1.15 again.  Do you have database and file backups from the working forum?
Uploaded the 1.1.15 Install package (without Settings.php and install.php), now it seems to be working, sort of.

Three things: I see a red warning block now, with the text: "!!

upgrade.php!
repair_settings.php!".

Second: I seem to be missing a lot of translations. Would that be a problem?

Third: a big notice at the bottom: "Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. [...]" I take it I can ignore that, until all is updated and working again?

Dzonny

Hey there,

Are you using default theme? If not, please switch to default and see if those problems still appear?

For the first problem, just remove upgrade.php and repair_settings.php file from your forums root directory.
For missing translation - if you uploaded install package from our site english translation should be included in there. If you're using custom language other than English, please update that language pack as well.
And the third problem, please take a look at this:
Why am I getting a message saying the copyright is missing?
I assume that this is related to outdated language pack as well, so when you update language it'll be fixed though.

Ooypunk

Quote from: Dzonny on June 08, 2017, 05:28:23 AM
Hey there,

Are you using default theme? If not, please switch to default and see if those problems still appear?
Yes, I was, and am, using default theme.

QuoteFor the first problem, just remove upgrade.php and repair_settings.php file from your forums root directory.
Ah, the notice is gone now, thanks.

QuoteFor missing translation - if you uploaded install package from our site english translation should be included in there. If you're using custom language other than English, please update that language pack as well.
I uploaded the latest Dutch language pack (2.0.14) and uploaded it. Nothing changed.
What would happen if I removed the Dutch translations (for now)? Would the forum fall back to English, or just crash?

QuoteAnd the third problem, please take a look at this:
Why am I getting a message saying the copyright is missing?
I assume that this is related to outdated language pack as well, so when you update language it'll be fixed though.
Can I ignore this, for now, and fix this when all updating is done? I expect this problem to evaporate when theme and language packs are "in sync" again, am I right?

Dzonny

You can change default language in admin panel to English, that'll do the trick.
After that please make sure you have backup saved (files+database ofc) and then proceed with the upgrade.

Ooypunk

Quote from: Dzonny on June 08, 2017, 08:45:43 AM
You can change default language in admin panel to English, that'll do the trick.
After that please make sure you have backup saved (files+database ofc) and then proceed with the upgrade.
Did this, then did the upgrade to 1.1.21. That went well, I saw no errors on the forum.

Then I proceeded with the 2.0.14 Upgrade, but that stalled (again) at "Step 4: Database Changes"; if I understand correctly, "Executing upgrade script 1 of 2." was completed succesfully. But then, when I pressed "Continue", it timed out, with the message "Error!
Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again".

I waited 5 minutes, then pressed "click here" once, but the same result.

Sir Osis of Liver

If 1.1.21 is running without errors and your content is intact, try upgrading to 2.0.13. 

- R. Waters

Ooypunk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 09, 2017, 01:24:51 PM
If 1.1.21 is running without errors and your content is intact, try upgrading to 2.0.13.
I went back to 1.1.21, then tried upgrading to 2.0.13, but the result is the same.

Dzonny

If upgrade resulted in same: getting that message that server has not responded for 30 seconds - might be worth to try to Click on that link to try again few times and see if there's a change.

SpacePhoenix

What version of PHP are you running?

Ooypunk

Ooypunk

Quote from: Dzonny on June 12, 2017, 05:29:36 AM
If upgrade resulted in same: getting that message that server has not responded for 30 seconds - might be worth to try to Click on that link to try again few times and see if there's a change.
Tried it 5 times, waited several minutes each time. No change. :(

Sir Osis of Liver

I've run into this problem on a couple of forums, don't remember what caused it but it's fixable.  Will look through my notes when I get chance, see if I can find it.

Who's your host?

- R. Waters

Catalyst

I'm having the same problem upgrading to 2.0. Hosting with Dreamhost, php 5.6.

Ooypunk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 13, 2017, 04:37:17 PM
I've run into this problem on a couple of forums, don't remember what caused it but it's fixable.  Will look through my notes when I get chance, see if I can find it.
That would be great, thanks in advance.

QuoteWho's your host?
If you mean the hosting company, that's WebReus (webreus.nl).
If you mean the URL of the forum: I'd rather not tell here, but I'd be happy to tell you by PM, if this is what you mean.
If you mean something else, please tell me.

Advertisement: