News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

What needs to be "Backed up"

Started by showngo, June 03, 2017, 12:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

showngo

I will try to keep this short.
I can not back up the forum from the maintenance section in SMF, it is a server issue, I do not care about that, it really doesn't matter.

I back my forum up from the server (godaddy) and I do a SQL backup for all the posts, boards and data strings and I do a HOME backup for everything else.

My question is, Do i need to do a complete HOME backup with the SQL also or can I just back up the current attachment folder and the SQL database?

The reason I am asking is I have 11 attachment folders so each backup (Nightly) is 75GB.

Will backing up the SQL DB and the last attachment folder give me what I need of I have ONE complete backup in archives?   

vbgamer45

Yes. I would the core set of files of SMF too. I like the idea of splitting up the attachment folder to backup since that would be redundant to backup multiple times.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

a10

Keeping a few separate backups of all attachments folders, and from then, just regularly adding the newer entries from the active folder.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Kindred

Honestly...  automate it.

Take a SQL backup and a file backup at least once a week (maybe more often, depending on how active your forum is.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

showngo

Looks like I will do it the way I have.    I do not want to choke the hosting with backups for file size so I download off site.  Im running at 45% of my hosting HD space now. Also,  Auto backups (To off site) is not available with my hosting package.
So even if it is automated, im still manually downloading to my hosting package HD .   That is why I was asking on what was the needed files vs the redundant ones.  I only keep 3 days, I should be able  to see a error within that time.   The members are pretty good at letting me know.

Average registrations per day:9.23
Average posts per day:257.07
Average topics per day:18.90
Total Boards:189
Average online per day:543.49
Average page views per day:12147.49

This is the reason Im doing it almost daily.  People get crazy if I loose a day for some reason.

a10

My comment above was only refering to attachments folders (if many and large \ very space\time consuming to backup\download), imo no critical need to re-backup the 'closed' folders that often, as the new stuff is added to the 'active' folder. Works here (for full restores and server\domain moves). Am of course doing regular backups of forum files and DB.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

showngo

Quote from: a10 on June 04, 2017, 07:45:00 AM
My comment above was only refering to attachments folders (if many and large \ very space\time consuming to backup\download), imo no critical need to re-backup the 'closed' folders that often, as the new stuff is added to the 'active' folder. Works here (for full restores and server\domain moves). Am of course doing regular backups of forum files and DB.

Yep I got that, thats what Im doing right now, only backing up the current folder.    11 folders with 89k attachments gets to be big.   I keep 2 complete backups in a safe place and not only do the DB and last attachment folder.    Its a heck of a lot faster.   

Advertisement: