Need help upgrading php from 5 to 7 with mysql

Started by BSP, August 16, 2019, 10:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSP

I want to move my php 5.4.10 to the latest php 7.3.8 (or the max version smf supports)

First is what version of php is supported they have two sites for recommendations, one says
QuoteVersions of SMF 2.0.14 and higher will not work on PHP 5.3 or below. If you use PHP 5.3 it is required to upgrade to a newer version of PHP
https://download.simplemachines.org/requirements.php

the other says
QuoteVersions of SMF from 2.0.14 onwards require a version of PHP between 5.4 and 7.1. If you use PHP 5.3 or lower, it is necessary to use SMF 2.0.13 or lower. PHP 7.2 is not supported by SMF at this time.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Requirements_and_recommendations

So if php 7.1.x is the max then that is not a problem just a small change.

The reason for the topic.

The main issue is that when going to the php 7.1.x I want to use their php.ini file, a clean install. I have made the proper modifications to the php.ini per smf requirements. Do I have to do anything else to it for my mysql database? I am asking because looking at the old php.ini file they have some notes about mysql in the file. I am not sure if that was added in or required because of the php they were on. I am assuming the php.ini originally came from php 5.3.x and it was copied to the current installation php 5.4.10.

I inherited the site. So I am a little new to this. Any help will be nice.

vbgamer45

For SMF 2.0.x go up to PHP 7.1 for now.

php.ini did change a lot. I suggest using the new PHP.ini that making your changes that you need to it. Such as increasing upload limits, and enabling php extensions.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Antes

SMF does not requires any special php.ini changes, it'll use the default values which is enough for it.

BSP

ok so that's fine. is there anything extra i need to do for the mysql? or is is all set after the smf requirements?

Antes

Any back-end upgrade should not affect SMF, if SMF hits a limit/wall where it requires more (or something enabled) it will tell you.

BSP

Thank you for all the help. I shall try it out sometime in the next few weeks. If anything happens I will keep you in the loops.

Advertisement: