News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Name of attachments

Started by Raffoz, June 06, 2017, 03:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffoz

Before 2.0.14 when i used names of attachments with accents inside, it worked correctly.
Today with 2.0.14 SMF post the attachment, but the name of the file appear truncated, as if it was without name.

Any solution?
Tks
MacOsX (last)
SMF 2.0.15 and 2.1.2 (different forums)
Chrome (last) or Safari (last)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Raffoz

Italian: ISO-8859-1

I think this is the answer.
MacOsX (last)

richardwbb

Raffaele1977, did you know that accenting filenames in general isn't a great idea. Really. For smf, I don't know man, I wouldn't touch it inside smf, even if my users of my board can use that, I wouldn't touch that either.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Portugal

I have the same problem since one year ago, anyone has solved this problem? My forum is in Portuguese language (we have some special characters) and isnt in UTF8.

Raffoz

MacOsX (last)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Portugal on August 14, 2019, 09:57:10 AM
(we have some special characters) and isnt in UTF8.
This in general isn't a good combo, and like mentioned - filenames typically shouldn't have special characters to begin with.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Raffoz

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on August 19, 2019, 01:13:53 AM
Quote from: Portugal on August 14, 2019, 09:57:10 AM
(we have some special characters) and isnt in UTF8.
This in general isn't a good combo, and like mentioned - filenames typically shouldn't have special characters to begin with.

I understand and agree, in general.
But there are languages, like Italian, where accenting words are normal and create filenames without accents would result in a "grammatical error".
This is the reason.
MacOsX (last)

Arantor

There is actually nothing preventing accented characters in file names, the fact that the file name on disk on Windows is neither ISO-8859-anything or UTF-8 is no barrier as long as the forum is set up to use UTF-8 correctly.

(Windows uses UTF-16 under the hood. Linux uses UTF-8 I believe. As long as what gets into the database goes through the UTF-8 channels it should be fine.)

shawnb61

Yep.  This is a bug.

Note that 2.1 is far better at non-English support.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: