News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is there a mod manager [this is from github]

Started by richardwbb, June 07, 2017, 01:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

Iv'e stumbled up on; https://github.com/Yoshi2889/ModManager

Wondering, if this would be any good, I'm not understanding github yet [well, the download zip works, haha], I'm still after understanding 'StackOverflow', StackExchange and another stack maybe. Those people can be a bit ignorant [not the team, their responses], I've run in to problems with UbuntuForums, they just did it very well, but sorry Ubuntu, I'm gone. However, here is more rambling of me about this ModManager, I'm not even sure such a thing exists here, and, willing to learn to create a package [with effort in my head, then to my keyboard, not vice versa, haha] b.t.w; running w7 here. With VirtualBox.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=182923.msg3930144#msg3930144

If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

richardwbb

My bad. I wrote; [not the team, their responses], I meant, anyone but their team.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Arantor

I really don't know what you're hoping to accomplish. This tool, such as it is, simplifies building mod packages for SMF. It doesn't prevent you from having to learn how to write code or anything, merely the last step - putting it into the right kind of zip file with all the XML stuff you need, which is a bit of a pain to do.

richardwbb

Maybe I should just try it. The name of this person, I saw in the 'credits list' inside the smf 2.1 bèta 3.

And, my general idea is to make the IMYIF message, 'cookie-compatbile', and let the visitor have a say on it. Because I see no other way, on how to store a user setting on the client's computer. [However, javascript seems to have a way], for php, maybe I need to learn something or, am overlooking something.

To answer your question, more specifcally, a 'hand crafted' modification that says 'hello world, within the smf 2.1 bèta 3 I have running now, would be great for me. Just wondering, if there are 'better roadmaps', then the one I have in my mind [please see my signature]

richardwbb

I overlooked;

merely the last step - putting it into the right kind of zip file with all the XML stuff you need, which is a bit of a pain to do.

That would be fine, now I'm off to trying to understand to create an echo with php, in a package way. I am sure that package woudn't be helpful, but I noticid [looking at the included xml of any package], that one has to find a line of code that has been changed, write down 'a single block of replaced code', seemingly with, or without what was written already, and occasionally, throw away some code. I also view the contents of modifications packages, especially with more then one choice for the same goal. Some I can tell, that it might work, but by how it was done, I can tell, [in my case; hope], there is one that is better. So I look the contents of modifications regularly.

And then there is also, learning; what has been included in the smf 2.1, for example a captcha, that is one less off my list of modifications that are twenty. And another one I can't remember now. I can have many questions, I know.

Since this Yoshi person is in the credits list in the smf 2.1 bèta 3 package [i've stumbled up on], that gave me a sense of trust, and therefore I mark this topic solved.

NanoSector

My two cents (I'm Yoshi2889)... while the mod builder application works for simple packages, it just doesn't work for larger ones. It's also known to have a few issues here and there.

If you're just learning on how to build packages though, I guess it works well enough. Check the link in my signature (or my profile) to read the topic about it.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

richardwbb

I've also saw; 'Edit All Message Titles', that one would help me too, since I sometimes do that with the first post. However, I have also a mod that removes all 'Re: ' from titles. So I should see for myself if that wouldn't come to conflict with eachother.

And for javascript and C sharp, I just made my 'hello world', [offtopic; I wanted to write a w32/ w64 screensaver. seems simple, well with Visual Studio it isn't], now I learned, Linux can compile binaries for Windows, but the screensaver code that I found on Microsoft's code, just doesn't work, or it is for Visual Studio 2015, and I usually can't find things already, and I stopped using Office since Office 2000/ 2003, after that, well, sorry, not for me any longer]. Oh, and website that point to the code on the Microsoft screensaver [a .SCR file], Microsoft is saying; oops!, or something along that line. They know what to remove, and for social.msdn, techblog, I usually disregard those now, when I read something on there that tells me, what will be coming is good, it seems outdated by Microsoft. And Steve Ballmer said something about open source in general, that I just can't repeat on any forum, haha.

However, a hello world for every coding langauge, there are even websites that give you that. And for the screensaver; bummer, it would be nice for a car enthusiasts forum, to put all the photo's of cars in a single .SCR file, and put that under our 'Merchandise' section. I've found a 17 euro solution, that is able to do this, but the board usually views the Site Admin as a 'webmaster', [I find that term denigrating]. While I can touch anything, they are the ones that are limited on the forum by me,

Thank you for your 2 cents and you have notified me that some things are to be expected. The road to working with a customized forum of smf [real custom, doesn't look like the real smf default theme], or a mod like there are serveral lightbox versions for example, 'Fancybox 4 SMF', is a real good one, it seems indifferent in behaviour with the hordes of Foxes of Mozilla and Chrome's of Google, with their versioning.

But hey, I didn't know the developmentteam of smf resides on Github. One last question; would someone please be so kind to point me a page in the smf manual; https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Category:Developing_SMF

Or how to get to a simple mod, without an howto? Or did i overlook something again?

Advertisement: